    http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/broadband_speed_in_my_area_v2.aspx

    It summarises all the speedchecks performed in your area and tells you
    the ISPs as well.

    chris, Apr 1, 2015

  2. ash burton

    Roger Mills Guest

    I'm tempted from the point of view of getting more information - even
    though I don't actually *need* to buy anything, because BT supplied the
    modem and PlusNet the router.

    So I need convincing that it's worth shelling out 60-odd quid for a
    Billion all-in-one jobbie. Any offers?
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Apr 1, 2015

  3. ash burton

    Roger Mills Guest

    Looks like not many people in my village use that particular checker
    because it only shows about 10 results - and there must be several
    hundred users! It shows an average speed - for those it *does* know
    about - of about 4M, and nothing above 11M, whilst I'm getting 38M with
    FTTC.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Apr 1, 2015
  4. Apart from what I've said already, I've found the wireless performance
    to be better than the Technicolor router supplied by my ISP, in that
    my bedside internet radio no longer drops the connection every ten
    minutes or so. Another unit I was considering is a TP Link one, which
    lies flat with aerials sticking up and indicator lights on top, but as
    it had to go on a high shelf, I thought the Billion one would fit
    better as it stands upright with lights on the front.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Apr 1, 2015
  5. ash burton

    Phil W Lee Guest

    Or worse, not getting something you do need.
    I sent a supposedly all-singing all-dancing Fritzbox back because it
    couldn't route a public subnet, and on contacting their technical
    support they couldn't even understand why anyone would want to.
    I have a /29, which bit of technical information appeared to be beyond
    their comprehension. According to their tech support, they don't make
    anything that will route a public subnet, because according to them,
    "you only ever get one public IP address".

    Phil W Lee, Apr 2, 2015
  6. ash burton

    Phil W Lee Guest

    You'll probably save the hardware cost in reduced power consumption
    over a year or so.
    If you try hard, less time than that, as the 8800NL allows you to turn
    off unused Ethernet ports, schedule when to turn the WiFi on and off,
    and tricks like that.
    You can also set snrm targets yourself (in smaller increments than
    BT's 3db steps) instead of relying on what BT set for you (only on
    ADSL though, not VDSL), which may enable you to get more out of the
    connection you currently have.
    It means you have a spare modem/router available in case you get one
    of those technical glitches where tech support suggest you try
    swapping to a different one to see if that helps.
    And of course, you'll be ready to rock & roll when VDSL or IPv6
    arrives.

    Phil W Lee, Apr 2, 2015
  7. ash burton

    PeeGee Guest

    On 02/04/15 01:40, Phil W Lee wrote:
    At roughly £1.30 per wattyear (15p per unit), more like a decade.

    --
    PeeGee

    to be removed from a computer easily."

    PeeGee, Apr 2, 2015
  8. Do you know of a reasonably priced router that can handle a /29?
    And still do NAT?

    -- Richard

    Richard Tobin, Apr 2, 2015
  9. Maybe a bit less. If you used the VDSL modem supplied by Openreach
    you'd have to buy a router anyway, so the extra cost is the cost of a
    combined VDSL modem/router (such as the 8800NL) minus the cost of that
    separate router you didn't buy.

    In any case, even if something does cost a little more, provided it's
    a neater or more technically elegant arrangement (even if it doesn't
    actually work better as well, which the 8800NL does) you have the
    enjoyment of being able to appreciate that for its own sake.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Apr 2, 2015
  10. ash burton

    Steve Crook Guest

    I think it depends what you consider a reasonable price. I use one of
    these:
    http://linitx.com/product/mikrotik-routerboard-450g-inc-routeros-level-5/12417

    I have my inbound PPPoE connection terminated on it which gives me
    access to the single IP address assigned by my ISP. Another port has a
    /29 subnet on it, also assigned by my ISP and routed out through the
    PPPoE. Two further ports have NAT on them with different /24 subnets.
    IPv6 routing is done across all ports so PCs can have NAT'd ipv4 and
    properly routed ipv6.

    There is a GUI interface to the router using a free application (WinBox)
    and also an SSH console. Both are very intuitive but it is a very
    functionally rich device and requires some understanding of routing
    protocols.

    Steve Crook, Apr 2, 2015
  11. ash burton

    Phil W Lee Guest

    You will be replacing two boxes with one, and from my experience the
    Billion runs very cool and well within the power consumption figures
    quoted, whereas the HG612 (VDSL modem) and TG582n (router) both run
    warm and right on the limit of their consumption figures.
    What's more, the plug-top PSU of the 8800NL also runs very cool,
    unlike either of the two it replaced (the PSU for the HG612 was
    particularly bad - I could touch it, but not hold on to it). I can't
    measure how bad the efficiency is, but if they are hot, they are
    wasting power.
    All in all, it adds up to quite a big saving.
    That's from my own personal experience. It may be that a range of
    power supplies are used depending on availability, and some are better
    than others.

    Low power use was a major design constraint placed on the 8800NL,
    which is why it only has one GbE port, with the others being 10/100.
    It's probably reasonable, as anyone using GbE probably has a separate
    switch anyway, or even several.

    How long that takes to save it's additional cost over what you'd need
    anyway depends on what the alternative would be and how much you pay
    for your electricity.

    Phil W Lee, Apr 2, 2015
  12. ash burton

    Roger Mills Guest

    Well yes, but I'd revert to the supplied kit *anyway* before reporting a
    fault, so that they couldn't say it was down to my kit.
    Well, I've already got FTTC - which I presume is VDSL. This was the
    whole point of the question because the supplied separate modem and
    router don't provide the same access to line stats as I used to get with
    my ADSL combined modem/router. It would be nice to have access to the
    stats - but I still need to convince myself that it worth shelling out
    £60+ to achieve that - when what I've got seems to work perfectly well.

    There seems to be some uncertainty about the break-even time on power
    costs - but they're probably quite a few years, and so not really a
    deciding factor.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Apr 2, 2015
  13. Yes it is.
    It appears that several of us have already taken this step and found
    the following improvements-

    1. Neater arrangement with one box instead of two.

    2. Lower power consumption.

    3. Easy access to more technical information about the connection.

    4. More comprehensive configurations.

    5. Better wireless performance.

    Personally I think these are all worthwhile improvements, but only you
    can decide how much they are worth to you. Good luck.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Apr 3, 2015
  14. ash burton

    PeeGee Guest

    In this instance, the modem and router are in place, so the costs have
    already been incurred, leaving just electricity cost savings.

    PeeGee, Apr 3, 2015
  15. ash burton

    chris Guest

    Yup. That is a problem with it.

    chris, Apr 3, 2015
  16. ash burton

    Rodney Pont Guest

    6. Collected stats now, while it's working, can help prove a fault when
    it isn't working as well.

    Rodney Pont, Apr 3, 2015
  17. ash burton

    Rodney Pont Guest

    Or even 'Stats collected now....' - and I did proofread it before I
    sent it!

    Rodney Pont, Apr 3, 2015
  18. If cost is the only consideration, then that would appear to be that.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Apr 3, 2015
  19. ash burton

    Roger Mills Guest

    I'm not concerned about the running costs - they're pretty trivial,
    anyway. And, as has been said, I don't *need* to lay out any capital
    cost because I already have a serviceable modem and router.

    But I'm *prepared* to shell out a few bob once I'm convinced that the
    technical benefits make it worthwhile. As the list grows, we're getting
    closer!
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Apr 3, 2015
  20. ash burton

    Ash Burton Guest

    Thanks, i had a look at that site and it shows only one test result in
    the last six months for my post code at a speed of 14.64 Mbps, which is
    consistent with my own speed tests for ADSL.

    A thought has ocurred to me over this matter is; is it possible that
    fibre cable takes a different (longer) route from the exchange to my
    cabinet than the normal phone line and could that account for the
    difference in speed being quoted?

    Ash

    Ash Burton, Apr 3, 2015