    I think i will be sticking with ADSL to for the time being.

    But it makes me wonder why they went to the trouble of installing fibre
    if the speeds avaiable are so low. Ash

    Ash Burton, Mar 31, 2015

  2. ash burton

    Martin Brown Guest

    I think you will have to ask that question directly of your ISP.

    I don't see how they expect to sell fibre if it is slower and more
    expensive than their conventional ADSL service. Are you sure you have
    the decimal point in the right place 46Mbps sounds about right.
    Unless the new FTTC cabinet is a long way away from you then I cannot
    see any scenario where the fibre speed will be lower than with ADSL.

    Most round here who have got fibre had a 10x increase in sync rate (and
    they were typically stuck on 3-4Mbps ADSL tops on very old copper wire).

    Martin Brown, Mar 31, 2015

  3. ash burton

    chris Guest

    As others have said, this is only a prediction and could well be wrong.
    Given your description elsethread of where the cabinet is etc, I
    wouldn't believe that figure.

    chris, Mar 31, 2015
  4. ash burton

    David Guest

    First I have hears of Mk3, how does it differ from a Mk2?
    Regards
    David

    David, Mar 31, 2015
  5. ash burton

    David Guest

    My Adsl2+ was 15Mb Fibre is 31Mb.
    Regards
    David

    David, Mar 31, 2015
  6. Nothing to stop you buying your own anyway. There are several that
    include both ADSL and VDSL modems, so you keep the same box regardless
    of which service you choose.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Mar 31, 2015
  7. ash burton

    Ash Burton Guest

    That may be so, but if i transfer to fibre and the 4.6Mb figure is
    correct, i will have no redress as the ISP will no doubt say that's the
    figure we quoted you, live with it.

    I think i will stick with the ADSL until the prediction improves, if it
    ever does.

    Ash

    Ash Burton, Mar 31, 2015
  8. ash burton

    Martin Brown Guest

    That sounds like a poor deal. Are you a long way away from the cabinet?

    (I am relying on what people tell me here since I can't get FTTC)

    Martin Brown, Mar 31, 2015
  9. Vir Campestris, Mar 31, 2015
  10. ash burton

    Ash Burton Guest

    Ash Burton, Mar 31, 2015
  11. ash burton

    Graham. Guest

    Even the lousiest ISP is unlikely to offer you VDSL if they thought
    that was all you would get speed wise.

    If the FTTC cabinet is as close as you say,
    the_predictor_site_has_to_be_wrong.

    Ask your near neighbours if they are on FTTC, and what speeds they
    get.

    Graham., Mar 31, 2015
  12. ash burton

    Woody Guest

    No idea, but on principle always go for the newest available, and they
    work.

    Woody, Mar 31, 2015
  13. ash burton

    Richard_CC Guest

    I've no idea how these things work but I wonder if the test is 'real
    time' what result you might get if you unplugged your router, went
    elsewhere like a neighbours house and ran BT speedchecker on you phone
    number. You would then be testing an idle line. Maybe no difference,
    but as the results you are getting are so unusual anything is worth a go.

    Richard_CC, Mar 31, 2015
  14. ash burton

    chris Guest

    No, it's not a live test of your actual line - the checkers are designed
    to work *before* you have any type broadband. They are predictions based
    on an estimate of how far away your property is from the exchange and
    cabinet and what a typical service you'd get for that distance.

    chris, Apr 1, 2015
  15. It's puzzling that VDSL (FTTC) is predicted to give a worse
    performance than ADSL for a line which, given the figures for ADSL,
    must be reasonably short. 5.5 to 12.5 for ADSL isn't too bad, so I'd
    expect VDSL to perform better. I was getting a downstream speed of
    about 10 on ADSL, and now about 26 on VDSL.

    Having researched a few nearby properties for my daughter who is
    considering moving house, I've noted that the VDSL estimates only tend
    to get worse than ADSL for very low speeds around 1Mb/s or so, which
    tended to be the more rural properties.

    It's easy to understand why VDSL would fare worse on a particularly
    long line, because the frequencies it uses are much higher and would
    be expected to suffer worse attenuation, so I wonder if there's been
    some confusion about what information they're using for the estimate
    in this case?

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Apr 1, 2015
  16. If speeds were generally that low, there would be no point. But they
    aren't. Either it's a mistake, or there's something very odd about
    your cabinet.

    -- Richard

    Richard Tobin, Apr 1, 2015
  17. ash burton

    Andy Burns Guest

    They provide and fit, when they've gone you unplug and put thiers on a
    shelf, then plug your own in ...

    Andy Burns, Apr 1, 2015
  18. All that BT provide and fit is a modem, probably the Huawei HG612.
    You'll need a router as well, which you'll have to buy, so you end up
    with two boxes. Replace both boxes with something like the Billion
    8800NL and you have less power consumption, more technical info, and
    an arrangement that looks neater.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Apr 1, 2015
  19. ash burton

    David Guest

    On 01/04/2015 18:01, Roderick Stewart wrote:
    What about the BT Hub No.5 to whom is that supplied?
    Regards
    David

    David, Apr 1, 2015
  20. BT customers I suppose. I think they lock them to BT accounts too,
    like mobile phones, though I daresay you could buy a generic one from
    somewhere else to use with any ISP.

    Amazon sell them-

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Hub-5-Ho...=UTF8&qid=1427914830&sr=1-1&keywords=bt+hub+5

    There's no mention of an ADSL modem, just VDSL.

    There's also a TP Link one

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TD-...TF8&qid=1427914895&sr=1-1&keywords=vdsl+modem

    This one does include both types of modem. So does the Billion, which
    is the one I ended up buying-

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-880...TF8&qid=1427915003&sr=1-2&keywords=vdsl+modem

    Check the reviews and take your pick. If you want to go into a
    different price range, there are Fritzboxes and Drayteks, but it's
    probably not wise to get carried away and assume a more expensive box
    must be better. You might just be paying for features you don't need.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Apr 1, 2015