    Fibre.

    Is this usually right or will I see delays into the future like others
    have reported?

    cl, Sep 18, 2014

  2. Davey

    cl Guest

    I don't think we *have* any cabinets! We're fairly rural (though in a
    village) and all the telephone lins are overhead with those
    cylindrical repeater (?) things hung on the sides of the poles
    occasionally.

    cl, Sep 18, 2014

  3. Davey

    Martin Brown Guest

    Based on my experience I'd say the only trustworthy one was DSL checker
    with your phone number - that at least tells you what the kit that BT
    thinks you are connected to is capable of doing. The others are just
    vapourware "predictions" that are only as accurate as the data fed into
    them. My own postcode shows a totally misleading result as does the
    postcode of the parts of the village that already have working fibre.

    Martin Brown, Sep 18, 2014
  4. Davey

    Martin Brown Guest

    Put your phone number into DSL checker (and a few of your friends
    scattered around the village) and you will find out. We found that there
    were three cabinets and a lot of direct lines on ours.

    Mine is a rural direct connection to the exchange which is why I stand
    no chance of ever getting fibre. The nearest fibre enabled cabinet at
    present is further from me than the exchange.

    Martin Brown, Sep 18, 2014
  5. Ours has been coming soon here for at least 2 years now. :(

    Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°14 + on desktop, Sep 18, 2014
  6. Yes my exchange has been supplying FTTC for at least 2 years now, but
    still hasn't got round to modernising my local cabinet as yet.
    Strangely both BT and Plusnet reckon that my d/l speed should be up to 3
    Mbps and yet I've been enjoying in just excess of 8 Mbps now for just
    over 4 years on ADSL.

    Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°14 + on desktop, Sep 18, 2014
  7. Davey

    Mark Guest

    I agree that the only "good" source of information is the BT checker
    <https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/>

    Mark, Sep 18, 2014
  8. Davey

    Mark Guest

    It's strange that properties that close to you are on a different
    cabinet[1]. How far away is your closest neighbour?

    [1] I know BT wiring is akin to black magic.

    Mark, Sep 18, 2014
  9. Davey

    Martin Brown Guest

    I agree it is odd, but the bloke who lives opposite our new fibre
    cabinet, but on the wrong side of the road can't get it either and he
    must be all of 30m from the new fibre enabled cabinet.
    If you have ever looked into one of the half flooded in ground rural
    cable hovels you have to wonder how it ever works as well as it does.

    Martin Brown, Sep 18, 2014
  10. Davey

    Martin Brown Guest

    It is very conservative about the speed estimates and you can usually
    get at least twice what it promises with classic ADSL.

    Kitz has a better performance estimating tool based on attenuation:

    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

    Their tips on removing the bell wire also help improve SNR & speed.

    Martin Brown, Sep 18, 2014
  11. Ah, fair enough.

    It reports OK for my postcode and seemed on the face of it to be a
    fairly reliable source of information. In fact, one of the availability
    reports I used to occasionally refer to on Wholesale's website now
    points here instead of to the spreadsheet it used to.

    Plusnet Support Team, Sep 18, 2014
  12. We live half way up a steep hill and water never lingers long enough to
    seep into any near us. :)

    Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°14 + on netbook, Sep 18, 2014
  13. Davey

    Java Jive Guest

    Have you actually expressed an interest in having FTTC with BT? I ask
    this because from your description I'm wondering if BT keep putting
    back the date of your cabinet because no-one on it is yelling at them,
    so instead they go off and do other cabinets in other places with
    users who are demanding it more vociferously?

    Java Jive, Sep 18, 2014
  14. Davey

    Phil W Lee Guest

    Don't bet on never getting fibre - I understand that BT are working on
    a solution for direct exchange lines (probably just gradually
    replacing the adsl DSLAMS in the exchange with vdsl ones).
    Of course, porcine aviation permitting, you may get FTTP instead :)

    Phil W Lee, Sep 18, 2014
  15. I've seen an FTTC cabinet right outside a telephone exchange somewhere.
    I think maybe it was Reading South but I could be wrong.

    Brian Gregory, Sep 20, 2014
  16. Well tell them they've put in in the wrong location, by about 180
    miles. :(

    Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°14 + on desktop, Sep 20, 2014
  17. Davey

    Jim Guest

    How do they bring the fibre to these cabinets?
    Pull the cable through existing ducts or dig new
    ones?

    Jim, Sep 28, 2014
  18. Davey

    Phil W Lee Guest

    It depends on whether there's any spare capacity in the existing
    ducts, so there's no guaranteed answer that applies in all cases.

    Phil W Lee, Sep 28, 2014
  19. Davey

    Alex Heney Guest

    Yes :)

    It varies, depending on capacity of existing ducts.

    Alex Heney, Sep 28, 2014
  20. Davey

    Jim Guest

    I see, thank you both.