Fibre Availability by Openreach

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by Davey, Sep 17, 2014.

  1. Davey

    Davey Guest

    Davey, Sep 17, 2014

  2. Davey

    Andy Burns Guest

    It means September 2014, not the 14th of September
    Ha, ha and indeed haaaa ...
    Indeed, that date will refer to the date the exchange itself is fibre
    enabled, then they'll install the green cabinets, then they'll dig up
    the path to install a mains connection to it, then they'll dig up the
    path to install the link to the old cabinet, then they'll try to install
    the fibre, then they'll dig up the paths several times to unblock the
    ducts, then they'll actually install the fibre ...

    Andy Burns, Sep 17, 2014

  3. Wouldn't typing your phone number into
    https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput
    give you a better idea of when you will have FTTC etc available to you.
    My exchange has been fibre enabled for quite some time now, but my
    particular cabinet was originally going to be enable by 31/12/2012 but
    they kept changing that in 3 monthly (sometimes larger intervals). When
    the last availability date, 31/03/2014, was being approached they
    changed it again to 31/12/2014. I get the feeling that I shall never
    actually get to enjoy the higher than ADSL download speeds in my
    lifetime without moving house. :( .

    Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°14 + on netbook, Sep 17, 2014
  4. Davey

    Martin Brown Guest

    Yes. Ours went live at the start of September (predicted August). People
    who are now on it say it is a big improvement.

    However, the cabinet is further from me than the exchange so I get nowt!

    Martin Brown, Sep 17, 2014
  5. Davey

    Davey Guest

    Davey, Sep 17, 2014
  6. Davey

    Davey Guest

    That's why I asked, just in case.
    The first anybody knew about fibre coming here was the sudden
    appearance of a couple of cabinets. No announcement was ever seen or
    heard by anybody, even now, except for what can be found out from
    various websites. It's as though BT don't want anybody to know anything.

    What old cabinet? All we have is a garage-like building that sits there
    and hums, and lots of spider-like wires all over the village. But they
    have been pulling cables from man-hole to man-hole.

    Davey, Sep 17, 2014
  7. Davey

    chris Guest

    If you don't know that your exchange was down to get fibre last month,
    you can't complain when it didn't happen. Hence, Openreach's customer
    service rating is high...

    chris, Sep 17, 2014
  8. Davey

    Davey Guest

    That's the same thinking that the airlines use to say that they nearly
    always arrive on time, they just change the Expected Departure
    and Arrival Times.
    Been there, done that.

    Davey, Sep 17, 2014
  9. Davey

    Martin Brown Guest

    Try it on a few friends numbers then.

    In our village by some perverse logic the guy who lives opposite the new
    cabinet (but on the wrong side of the road) is still connected directly
    to the old exchange by a piece of wet string and gets a whopping 2Mbps.
    People 500m further down the road get around 50Mbps.

    Martin Brown, Sep 17, 2014
  10. Mine also tells me when FTTC will be available from the my nearest
    cabinet (which it identifies by number). As I said that date has been
    regularly put back from 31/12/2012 to the current availabilty date which
    is now 31/12/2014. I anticipate that about ½ way through December that
    will be amended to 31/03/2015 or even later. :(

    Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°14 + on netbook, Sep 17, 2014
  11. Not here.

    They've pulled fibre, and the exchange is scheduled for December
    according to Davey's link. But that doesn't mention fibre.

    Andy

    Vir Campestris, Sep 17, 2014
  12. Plusnet Support Team, Sep 17, 2014
  13. Davey

    Martin Brown Guest

    Martin Brown, Sep 17, 2014
  14. Thanks Bob but that. doesn't help me much as our exchange has been
    enabled for quite some time now and addresses about 100 metre from me in
    all directions are already getting FTTC, yet my cabinet (apparently No.
    1 in this area) has had it's FTTC availability date put back several
    times since when it was 31/12/2012 at least. As the 31/03/2014 date was
    approached the date was again amended and is now 31/12/2014. It is so
    frustrating. :( It certainly seems like each time the date is
    amended, it's just Openreach's way of keeping us interested, but they
    don't seem to have any intention of progressing any further. Unlike
    myself, many round here have turned to Virgin as that has been
    available here for quite a few years now. As you will gather I don't
    rate Virgin as a reasonable ISP so I have nowbeen in digits crossed mode
    for a couple of years.

    Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°14 + on netbook, Sep 17, 2014
  15. Davey

    Phil W Lee Guest

    Both BT and Samknows were claiming that there was no fibre in my area,
    or any date for it arriving, when I was using my FTTC connection to
    look at their sites.

    Phil W Lee, Sep 17, 2014
  16. Davey

    Mark Guest

    If it's any consolation our availability date was also moved several
    times but we now have FTTC. Keep checking as ours was eventually
    enabled quite some time before the last estimate.

    And we have no cable so this wasn't even a possibility.

    Mark, Sep 17, 2014
  17. Davey

    Alex Heney Guest

    That one comes up with the message "We are unaware of any homes or
    businesses in this postcode. Could you please try again. If it's still
    not working, contact us via our enquiries team." .

    That is with a postcode of CF48 2TT

    If I try the dslchecker.bt.com site it makes no mention of FTTC or
    FTTP, although it tells me I am on cabinet 14 in Merthyr.

    The Superfast Cymru site (
    http://www.superfast-cymru.com/where-and-when ) tells me it is
    "Accepting Orders", but the plusnet site still won't let me order! (I
    was told in May that cab 14 is in scope, and we have been told that
    Merthyr should be complete "by the end of the summer").

    So altogether rather contradictory information. :(

    Alex Heney, Sep 17, 2014
  18. Davey

    Phil W Lee Guest

    I found the most reliable method was to find my local cabinet, then
    keep an eye on roadworks.org for anything relevant. You're looking
    for the little telephone handset symbol.
    In my case, it was about 3 months from the start of works to lay
    ducting for the new cabinet until the whole thing was complete and
    FTTC was available.

    Your local council may also have a site giving some details if your
    area is part of the BDUK subsidised roll-out.

    Phil W Lee, Sep 17, 2014
  19. Davey

    Andy Burns Guest

    Yes, can be useful.
    Cabinets installed here in the first week of November, still no service.

    Andy Burns, Sep 17, 2014
  20. I've kept checking on a regular basis for almost 2 years now Mark and
    absolutely no joy. The cabinet is only about 70 yards away and as far
    as I can see nothing has changed in it's appearance in any way that I
    can see in that time.

    Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°14 + on netbook, Sep 17, 2014