    folder?

    Firefox 1.0 running on Windows XP

    Thanks in anticipation

    Anonymous, Jan 30, 2005

  2. Anonymous

    RBM Guest

    Right click on the tool bar, choose customize, then drag the bookmarks
    folder and drop it where you want it

    RBM, Jan 30, 2005

  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Many thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I didn't make my request clear
    enough.

    What I meant to ask was how do I change where the bookmarks file is saved. I
    back up a folder containing lots of vital stuff to another PC each week and
    it would be convenient if the bookmarks file was in that folder rather than
    docs & settings......

    Any ideas?

    Anonymous, Jan 30, 2005
  4. Anonymous

    RBM Guest

    Sorry, I'm a real newbie, but try this: C:\Program Files\Mozilla
    Firefox\defaults\profile

    RBM, Jan 30, 2005
  5. Anonymous

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Anonymous wrote:

    Your bookmarks.html file is in your profile. You should be backing up
    your entire profile folder on a regular basis anyway. Changing the
    location of the profile can be done but there are a host of reasons to
    NOT move your profile from its default location. I cannot recommend it
    but if you must:

    http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html
    http://edmullen.net/moz.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 30, 2005
  6. Anonymous

    Z Guest

    The entire set of bookmarks is in one file, bookmarks.html, and that
    will be in your profile folder.

    Be careful, you'll have a few of them. Find the right one based on date
    modified and/or size. Or, if you understand HTML, find the right one
    based on contents.

    Z, Jan 31, 2005
  7. You can try adding a new pref in about:config.

    Right click and add a new string pref:

    browser.bookmarks.file

    The value should be the path to your desired bookmarks file location.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 31, 2005
  8. Anonymous

    Ed Mullen Guest

    <rant>
    And then embark on a religious program of backups.

    http://edmullen.net/moz.html
    http://edmullen.net/moz.html#backup

    I've been watching these groups since early 2003 and almost every day
    some poor soul posts about having lost hundreds (or even thousands) of
    emails in a system or program crash. I will always offer whatever
    technical advice I can in those situations but I am way beyond sympathy
    for anyone who has no backups. You might as well drive without a seat
    belt, have unsafe sex, whatever. It's dumb. And, yeah, I'm living
    proof that smart people do dumb things. It's still no excuse. Spend 30
    or 40 bucks or find a free program but implement a regular effective
    backup strategy. My Mozilla profiles are automatically backed up daily.
    Sometimes in my screwing around with systems and software I actually
    do it to myself. but I don't worry to much because I know I've got a
    backup from 1 AM I can revert to. Hey, it's a matter of choice. Your
    choice. You decide.

    I gotta say, evangelizing about poorly coded sites is good. But I think
    a more important target for evangelical efforts is to get people to back
    up their data. It's cheap, it's simple, and you will be saved at some
    point in your future. Whatever.
    </rant>

    Ed Mullen, Jan 31, 2005
  9. Anonymous

    Z Guest

    Yes! YES! I could not agree more.

    And, for those Windows users who haven't used it, Windows Backup is
    fairly capable. It's a bit difficult to navigate, at first, but it gets
    the job done.

    I have _daily_ backups scheduled. I can not imagine life w/o them.

    Z, Jan 31, 2005
  10. Anonymous

    Z Guest

    Why not?

    I've never changed my profile folder. I've just let TB, Mozilla or FF
    set it. Would they ever choose the same folder?

    Z, Jan 31, 2005
  11. Anonymous

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Each of those programs will create a new profile on first installation
    so it's normally not a problem. Netscape will find a Mozilla profile
    and that can be a big problem. And some people get creative and tell
    Mozilla, for instance, to use a NS profile and then continue to use NS
    with that same profile. This can cause huge headaches unless you really
    know what you're doing. Running both programs at the same time
    accessing the same profile can cause major conflicts.

    Ed Mullen, Feb 1, 2005