FF Crashes on Links within Links

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Puma, Feb 15, 2009.

  1. Puma

    Puma Guest

    I have been having some problems with links within other sites making FF
    crash.

    When I click on a link within many sites, FF crashes and I get the crash-
    report box to send FF the info so they can try to see what caused the
    crash.Then I have to restart.

    I tried FF in safe mode. Didn't fix the problem.

    Tried a new profile and a "plain" (no add-ons) FF installation. Crash.

    Tried disabling all add-ons. Crash.

    Tried shutting down all programs, re-installing (3.0.6) and running FF with
    all programs still shut down (I don't like to do that because no firewall
    or virus protection). Crash.

    Anyone have any ideas what I might try? Any help and info appreciated. I
    can't view past bank statements at my banking site or other, various links
    in other sites.

    Using XP SP3.

    Help?

    Robert

    Puma, Feb 15, 2009

  2. Puma

    Rom Guest

    Including disabling plugins (Tools > Add-ons > Plugins)?

    Also update plugins, or uninstall before installing (updated) plugins.
    Third-party personal firewalls may require uninstalling, and the
    Windows Firewall could be used.

    If reinstalling Fx, do so with a new download (latest version) of Fx.

    See:

    Rom, Feb 16, 2009

  3. Puma

    Puma Guest

    Plugins)?

    No. Didn't even think about that and didn't realize I had
    so many! Doing that now.
    (updated) plugins.

    Will do that next.
    I've used Zone Alarm forever and had 3.0.6 installed for
    a while before the problem started. That's why I was
    leaning towards add-ons being involved.
    version) of Fx.

    I *did* do that.
    certain links"

    And I *will* be reading that URL.

    Thanks for the advice and your time.

    Robert

    Puma, Feb 16, 2009
  4. Puma

    Puma Guest

    From that site:

    1. At the top of the Firefox windowOn the menu bar, click the Tools
    menu and select Add-ons. The Add-ons window will open.
    2. In the Add-ons window, select the Extensions panel if it is not
    already selected. The set of installed extensions is displayed.
    3. Select Download Embedded to display the "OptionsPreferences",
    "Disable", and "Uninstall" buttons for that extension.
    4. Click the Disable button.
    5. Download Embedded will be disabled when you restart Firefox.

    ????????????

    Tools> add-ons gets me to the extensions menu but there is no "Download
    Embedded" choice nor any way to get to "OptionsPreferences" anywhere.

    With all the plug-ins but 2 disabled (pages wouldn't load at all with all
    plug-ins disabled) my links within the sites worked.

    What am I missing? And how does one update 'plug-ins'? I see nothing but
    Enable or Disable plug-ins.

    Thanks again for the help.

    Robert

    Puma, Feb 16, 2009
  5. Puma

    Rom Guest

    The Firefox Support site (for a while now) requires JavaScript enabled
    (Tools > Options > Content) to work properly and to display content
    specific to the platform and version you're using. Reload the page
    after enabling JavaScript if it's not already enabled, then read/look
    at the page again.
    You have plugin(s) causing the problem and updating them may fix it.
    Do you need/use all the plugins? If not, those can be uninstalled in
    Add/Remove of Windows Control Panel, others may have settings to
    disable in other software, and others might have an option when
    installing but the plugin file itself might be simply removed by
    deleting it from the plugins folder in the Firefox install directory.
    I'd suggest to uninstall old versions before installing new versions
    because you have this problem.

    To see if you're using the latest versions of Flash and Java, as well
    as for quick testing of the new versions after installing:
    Flash: <http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/>
    Java: <http://www.javatester.org/version.html>
    <http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml>

    Downloads of latest versions:
    Flash: <http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer>
    Uninstaller: <http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14157>
    Java: <http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp> or
    <http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp>

    To update plugins like Flash and Java, I download the offline
    installers for the new versions, and also download the Flash
    uninstaller. With Fx closed, use the Flash uninstaller, and uninstall
    Java in Add/Remove. If your Java version is not a recent one then
    manually delete old Java folders in Program Files. Install the new
    Flash and Java versions, then test.

    WMP for XPSP2/3 and Vista likely doesn't need updating but is here:
    http://port25.technet.com/pages/windows-media-player-firefox-plugin-download.aspx

    QuickTime/Real Alternative and QT Lite: <http://www.codecguide.com/>

    Some other popular plugins:
    <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Popular+plugins>

    Some other plugin tests:
    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Testing_plugins>

    Rom, Feb 16, 2009
  6. Puma

    Puma Guest

    Probably not. I didn't even realize so many were installed. I went to the
    FF file in 'Programs' and deleted a few I didn't think I really needed.
    Left the flash one(s), the 'Zonealarm' and another 2-3 that seemed useable.

    All are current versions.

    Now, some of my bookmarks won't work at all. I've gone back and enabled all
    the plug-ins and they still don't work.

    I give up. I may be having other problems so will wait a while and try
    again.

    Thanks for the help and tips.

    Puma, Feb 16, 2009
  8. Puma

    Rom Guest

    If you mean the bookmarked sites won't load now, it sounds like
    deleted plugin(s) are needed, so perhaps restore the deleted plugin
    file(s) from the Recycle Bin if you haven't, or reinstall plugin(s).
    Okay. See if you can recall anything (OS updates, Fx add-ons, other
    software) that's been updated/changed around the time the problem
    started.

    This might be of further help to you:
    In the address bar enter about:config, then after agreeing to the
    'avoid warranty' enter plugin.expose_full_path in the Filter box.
    Change the pref default value from false to true by double clicking.
    Next, in the address bar enter about:plugins, and you'll see all the
    plugins currently installed and detected with paths to the plugins.
    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:plugins>

    Can you post any URLs to publically accessible pages (not your Bank)
    where you're having problems clicking links and crashes or bookmarked
    sites now won't load? Posting a list of your plugins might help too.

    Rom, Feb 17, 2009
  9. Puma

    Puma Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    I think I may have earned that lesson the hard way! ;-) The ones I
    deleted were plug-ins for search engines (Yahoo, answer, etc.) that I
    don't ever use and that's why I thought I'd be all right.

    New profile worked OK. Original, main profile is working better today. I
    still think it is a plug-in problem that is causing my original problem
    (links within links not always working and causing FF to crash).

    But...I think there are other things in play complicating the situation.
    I believe some of this is not FF related and is either my computer or my
    DSL connection.

    Thanks for your input and help. I appreciate all of it.

    Puma, Feb 17, 2009
  10. Puma

    Puma Guest

    I enabled all the plug-ins after the troubles yesterday. The only ones I
    deleted were for yahoo, answer, etc. search sites which I never ever use.

    Nope, this time I hadn't really done anything so that's why I suspect
    there are other factors at work either with my computer or DSL
    connection.
    OK, did this. All plug-ins are now back to being enabled. My link within
    a link problem causing crashes is back... And thanks for the info.

    No, both are bank/financial sites. I may go back and disable different
    plug-ins instead of all at once (I know, shouldn't have done that
    initially ;-) and try that.

    Thanks so much for your time and all the help. I appreciate it.

    Puma, Feb 17, 2009
  11. Puma

    Puma Guest

    Well, this is interesting (or not...) and it seems the crash problem is
    fixed.

    I went back and disabled plug-ins one at a time until the crash problem
    stopped. The "Foxit Reader" plug-in was the one causing the crashes.

    I looked for a new version of the Foxit Reader for use with Firefox and
    found the site. But .... I noticed that sites continued opening with the
    Foxit plug-in disabled. And it opened in a Foxit window -- with the Foxit
    plug-in disabled.

    So before installing a new Foxit plug-in I am going to let it run this way
    (without the plug-in) for a while. If I need it I can get it then.

    Thanks to all who helped and advised me with this frustrating problem.

    Puma, Feb 17, 2009