FF Broadband Users -- Take Note, but With Caution

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Herb, Jan 29, 2005.

  1. Herb

    Herb Guest

    I found this in another thread, FYI. Haven't checked it out myself but
    it sounds good.

    Forevergeek.com has a useful guide on speeding up firefox for broadband
    users. Basically after getting to the hidden config settings you set the
    browser to request more data that it usually does.

    1.Type “about:config” into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down
    and look for the following entries:

    network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining
    network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

    Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When
    you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds
    up page loading.

    2. Alter the entries as follows:

    Set “network.http.pipelining” to “true”

    Set “network.http.proxy.pipelining” to “true”

    Set “network.http.pipelining.maxrequests” to some number like 30. This
    means it will make 30 requests at once.

    3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it
    “nglayout.initialpaint.delay” and set its value to “0”. This value is
    the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it
    receives.

    If you’re using a broadband connection you’ll load pages MUCH faster now!

    Herb, Jan 29, 2005

  2. Herb

    Sam Salt Guest

    Herb wrote:
    > I found this in another thread, FYI. Haven't checked it out myself but
    > it sounds good.
    >
    > Forevergeek.com has a useful guide on speeding up firefox for
    > broadband users. Basically after getting to the hidden config
    > settings you set the browser to request more data that it usually
    > does.
    >
    > 1.Type “about:config” into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down
    > and look for the following entries:
    >
    > network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining
    > network.http.pipelining.maxrequests
    >
    > Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time.
    > When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really
    > speeds up page loading.
    >
    > 2. Alter the entries as follows:
    >
    > Set “network.http.pipelining” to “true”
    >
    > Set “network.http.proxy.pipelining” to “true”
    >
    > Set “network.http.pipelining.maxrequests” to some number like 30. This
    > means it will make 30 requests at once.
    >
    > 3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it
    > “nglayout.initialpaint.delay” and set its value to “0”. This value is
    > the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it
    > receives.
    >
    > If you’re using a broadband connection you’ll load pages MUCH faster
    > now!

    Just to confirm it does work!!

    Sam Salt

    Sam Salt, Jan 29, 2005

  3. Herb

    Z Guest

    Herb wrote:
    > Forevergeek.com has a useful guide on speeding up firefox for broadband
    > users. Basically after getting to the hidden config settings you set the
    > browser to request more data that it usually does.

    This "make mozilla/firefox faster!" info appears about every month.

    You should read this before you make the changes suggested by
    ForeverGeek.com:

    http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/007164.html

    Z, Jan 29, 2005
  4. Herb

    Herb Guest

    --
    OK, that's good info as well. So, if I decide I'd like to undo these changes, such as to get rid of ''nglayout.initialpaint.delay'', what's the method?

    Thanx, Herb

    Herb, Jan 30, 2005