Fax passthrough: interoperability between One Access and Cisco?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by ango, Dec 5, 2006.

  1. ango

    ango Guest

    Hello,

    I have a general question about One Access devices, I hope someone has
    used them (our customer should have ONE 400 and 200 but my question is
    perhaps independent of the specific platform).

    In the user guide I have read something about the fax passthrough. One
    method that can be applied is the so-called "Direct mode": there is
    a direct signaling process, because the devices send specific NSE RTP
    packets before the necessary switching for the fax transmission (codec,
    no VAD, no EC) occurs.

    I remember I have read something similar about Cisco devices in
    relation to fax passthrough: the Cisco gateways coordinate codec
    switchover and the disabling to EC and VAD with NSEs within RTP stream.
    Cisco officially declares it uses as NSE a proprietary-version of the
    IETF-standard named telephony events (NTE).

    Are the NSE used by One Access different the same as the ones sent by
    Cisco gateway? If so, fax passthrough would be possible when having
    gateways of the two manufacturers.

    Thank you and best regards

    Alessandro

    ango, Dec 5, 2006