Faulty Questions in Microsoft's MCSA/MCSE Training Kit. Are They Also On Exam?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by CJH, Dec 29, 2005.

  1. CJH

    CJH Guest

    I posted this in the 'microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa' newsgroup, but I need
    all the help I can get right now so I thought I'd post it here as well.

    I'm currently taking the tests that come with the MS training kit in study
    mode and two of the questions I've come across are very poorly worded.

    Here's an example (paraphrased for brevity):

    QUESTION
    Admin shuts down stand alone servers to install hardware. When servers come
    up, the Add New Hardware wizard appears. Admin goes through wizard, but
    process fails because driver cannot be installed. Admin looks at Driver
    Signing settings in System properties. Driver signing setting is set to
    Block with other options dimmed. Admin wants to install unsigned driver.
    What action should he/she take?

    ANSWERS (select all that apply)
    a) Admin should reconfigure domain GPO and set Unsigned Driver Installation
    Behavior policy to Warn But Allow Installation.
    b) Admin should reconfigure the GPO applied to the OU that the servers are
    members of and set the Unsigned Driver Installation Behavior policy to Warn
    But Allow Installation.
    c) Admin should check the Administrator Option/Make This Action The System
    Default check box in the Driver Signing Options dialog box, accessible from
    the System Properties. This will enable her to switch the option from Block
    to Warn
    d) Admin should reconfigure the local GPO and set the Unsigned Driver
    Installation Behavior policy to Warn but Allow Installation.
    e) Admin should reconfigure the GPO assigned to the site that the servers
    are set up in and set the Unsigned Driver Installation Behavior policy to
    Warn But Allow Installation.

    Based on what I saw on my test server set up, I chose d) only. I went back
    and specifically checked: you do NOT have to check the Administrator
    Option/Make This Action... setting to switch from Block to Warn.

    Here's what I want to know

    1) Has anyone worked with the practice tests from the MS kit? If so, have
    you found poorly worded (or incorrect) questions such as this?
    2) Are poorly worded questions like this on the actual exams? If so, is
    there any way to contest if you fail because of several poorly worded
    questions?

    CJH, Dec 29, 2005

  2. When we create our exams, we go to great lengths to ensure that each
    question has only one correct answer, all answers are possible, and that the
    wording and question is reviewed by editors several times. We also do a lot
    of psyochometric work to evaluate the question and how it performs with
    hundreds and thousands of candidates, so statistically, the question tests
    relevant knowledge and the people that should pass will get the question
    right, and the people that shouldn't pass will get it wrong.

    Based on the paraphrasing, this question doesn't seem that bad. What is the
    problem with it?

    Andy Ruth
    Microsoft Learning

    rights.

    Andy Ruth [MSFT], Dec 29, 2005

  3. CJH

    CJH Guest

    See the part I mentioned in my original email about the actual server
    behavior.
    The question assumes that you cannot change the option from "Block" to
    "Warn" without checking the "Administrator Option/Make This Action The
    System Default". This is not true; I went back and examined the behavior
    on the test 2003 Server that I built. You can change the option from
    'Block' to 'Warn' without checking the Administrator Option.

    CJH, Dec 29, 2005
  4. Ahhh. Got it. Sorry about that. If you can call out specific questions, we
    can add that information to our errata sheets for that TK, and that will
    also let the editor for that book know there is a problem with the practice
    tests in that book. The email address below can be used to do that. Also,
    from www.microsoft.com/learning/books you can follow the link to "Book and
    CD corrections search" and see if there are any other errors that have been
    identified in the book or the CD. Thanks for calling this out!

    a.. : Microsoft PressĀ® Training Kits and Readiness
    Reviews

    Andy Ruth
    Microsoft Learning

    rights.

    Andy Ruth [MSFT], Dec 29, 2005
  5. CJH

    CJH Guest

    I sent in the question to the email you provided.

    I actually checked the knowledgebase for any errata for the 70-290 book.
    There were none listed.

    CJH, Dec 29, 2005