Fatal exception in Atari Thomas the Tank Engine game

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by erslket, Jan 17, 2004.

  1. erslket

    erslket Guest

    I just got and installed a new (copyright 2003) game on my computer,
    Thomas the Tank Engine Saves the Day.

    It requires DirectX 9.0, which it installed over my DirectX 8.1 on my
    Windows 98 computer.

    Every time I try to start the game, the screen blacks (normal), then I
    get an error:

    Fatal exception 0e at 0028:c179334e in VXD zzzzzzzz(01) + 0000234e.

    Always the same error, and then the computer is frozen and I need to
    restart.

    I have gone to Intel to download new drivers for my 82810E graphics
    controller and they installed okay.

    I have several times uninstalled the Thomas game, and I've tried
    reinstalling it in both minimal and recommended configurations. I get
    the error no matter what.

    My computer has enough horsepower for most of what I do - 550 MHz
    processor, 128 meg of memory, 5 gig available disk space, and an 8x
    CDROM drive.

    Any idea where the problem lies? And yes, I've cleaned the CD.

    erslket, Jan 17, 2004

  2. erslket

    ICee Guest

    Does it require DX9 hardware?

    ICee, Jan 17, 2004

  3. erslket

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Jan 17, 2004
  4. erslket

    AlanS Guest

    What are the game minimum requirements v what you have?

    One cause of problem I've seen on these kids games a few times is the memory
    requirement- it says 128Mb needed, and the user says I have 128Mb. It often
    turns out that they have on-board graphics use part of the 128 Mb meaning
    they don't have 128Mb of system memory. Does your machine have on-board
    graphics? If so how much memory is it taking, and how much system memory do
    you really have?

    AlanS, Jan 17, 2004
  5. erslket

    Brian Gaff Guest

    Would it not complain before all that if it needed unfitted hardware, i
    think it would!

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff....
    Email:

    Brian Gaff, Jan 17, 2004
  6. erslket

    ICee Guest

    Not necessarily.

    ICee, Jan 17, 2004
  7. erslket

    erslket Guest

    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums//showthread.php?s=&postid=4573496#post4573496
    (long URL ending in #post4573496) has a more detailed description of
    the problem that I posted to an atari support forum. Basically, I
    think I have ample hardware horsepower for the game (for Pete's sake,
    it's Thomas the Tank Engine!).

    Although I did update the drivers for my graphics controllers (more
    detailed info at ataricommunity link shown), I have not updated any
    other drivers on my computer. I mean, if it comes down to my spending
    three days trying to make a game we got at the library work on the
    computer, well, my son's going to have to be a man about it! My
    biggest concern is that there is a symptom here of a bigger problem on
    my computer.

    As I described in the ataricommunity post, there's one fishy thing
    that I see. The game requires DirectX 9.0. It installed DirectX 9.0
    from the CD on the first installation. Subsequent installations have
    detected DirectX 9.0. Dxdiag also detects DirectX 9.0. BUT... the
    "properties" dialog that comes up (right click desktop -> properties
    -> intel graphics techology tab -> graphics properties button) tells
    me I have DirectX 8.1. That just doesn't smell right to me!

    Can someone read the ataricommunity post and the above information and
    offer more help?

    erslket, Jan 18, 2004
  8. erslket

    erslket Guest

    I apologize for my hyper-crossposting here, but someone in one of
    these groups must have an answer...

    The general problem is that in starting a computer game, I get a Fatal
    exception 0e at 0028:c179334e in VXD zzzzzzzz(01) + 0000234e.

    My troubleshooting has me trying to figure out why Dxdiag detects that
    I have DirectX 9.0, but the display graphics properties (see above in
    this post for description) says that I have 8.1.

    I just went to the Microsoft web site and downloaded and installed
    DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902) and restarted my computer. Dxdiag
    detects it. The display graphics properties do not - they say I'm
    still on 8.1.

    Why? (smaller problem)

    Why the fatal exception (bigger problem)?

    erslket, Jan 18, 2004
  9. erslket

    ICee Guest

    Which game is it? On Atari's web site, I can find "Thomas & Friends:
    Building the New Line", which requires hardware support for DX 8.1.
    There are a couple others, but they require older versions of DirectX.

    Is the file you downloaded from Intel for the new driver win9x67.zip?

    ICee, Jan 18, 2004
  10. erslket

    jersie0 Guest

    The game is called "Thomas Saves the Day."

    The file I downloaded from Intel was win9xe67.exe

    jersie0, Jan 18, 2004
  11. erslket

    erslket Guest

    I have done some more checking. My driver controller version is
    4.13.01.3196. According to the Intel web site
    (http://intel.com/support/graphics/drivermatrix.htm#810/815) the 13 as
    the second number indicates support for DirectX 8.x only. I'm now
    going to be looking for a driver that supports 9.x. If I succeed,
    I'll post that here, but meanwhile, if someone can point me in the
    right direction, that would be great. I need a driver for 82810E,
    Windows 98, that will Support DirectX 9.0b, which is what I have on my
    machine.

    erslket, Jan 18, 2004
  12. erslket

    erslket Guest

    The latest mess in this is that I cannot get my display to work at all.
    See "My computer gets a black display on boot - will only display in
    safe mode" elsewhere in this newsgroup.

    Help me, please.

    erslket, Jan 18, 2004
  13. erslket

    Eyal Teler Guest

    I have done some more checking. My driver controller version is
    DirectX 9 works with DX8 and DX7 drivers (as long as they're "true"
    DX8 and DX7 drivers, not DX6 drivers that are compatible with DX8).
    The application should work fine, and I think you've mentioned that
    DXDIAG works, which would mean that the drivers are fine.

    I previously gave you an answer at microsoft.public.directx.graphics
    about one possibility why the game doesn't work. Don't know if you've
    seen it.

    Eyal

    Eyal Teler, Jan 19, 2004