FAT32 and partitions

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by SteveH, May 23, 2008.

  1. SteveH

    SteveH Guest

    Hello

    I am writing to ask about the 'Manage and troubleshoot disk partitioning'
    side of the exam.

    I am on a helpdesk temporarily and have had a challenging case to deal with
    this afternoon. Actually, I could only deal with it having spent an hour or
    so looking at various forums to get an idea of a solution.

    The user bought an external hard drive on the basis that it was
    Windows/Apple compatible, but as his operating system (XP) could not 'see'
    the new drive he decided to partition a drive to FAT32 (he did this in
    Computer Management not by MS-DOS commands!).

    Apparently, he did something - he doesn't know what - so called here. I went
    to have a look at his laptop and had no idea what he was talking about. After
    a little research, it seems that there are no tools to revert from NTFS to
    FAT32 so the user needs to delete a partition of the drive before recreating
    it as FAT32.

    However, even then, XP cannot 'see' FAT32 volumes above 32GB and I'm certain
    hsi external drive is something like 250GB. This means he would need to split
    the drive, logically, into little portions before XP could see it.

    Of course, maybe he just didn't install the drivers?!

    What I wanted to ask here was is this the kind of 'level' to expect in the
    exam? As I say, resolving his problem is not proving easy and I was naive to
    all this, but as he was rabbiting on about his precious iPod music files and
    FAT32, I started to wonder about how high the demands of this part of the
    exam actually are - quite apart from my amazement at the lengths people will
    go to to listen to White Christmas.

    If anyone has links to simple tutorials, I'd be grateful.

    Cheers

    Steve

    SteveH, May 23, 2008

  2. You do need to be aware of the functional limitations of FAT32 -- but that's
    about it.

    As far as the Windows XP community is concerned, FAT32 is as archaic as the
    Windows 9x systems that precipitated its creation.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP, MCBMSP, MCTS(x4), MCP

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin, May 24, 2008