FastEthernet3/48 is up, line protocol is down (monitoring)

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Bert Prefect, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. Bert Prefect

    Bert Prefect Guest

    Hello,

    I have a Cisco Catalyst 4507. I have several webservers in a VLAN.
    The ports for the webservers are all mirrored port 3/48 (an IDS
    server).

    .....#sh int fa 3/48
    FastEthernet3/48 is up, line protocol is down (monitoring)

    I can't seem to get the line protocol to come up. So I can't see the
    web traffic from the other servers. I do see on the IDS the Backup
    server talk to the other servers nightly, but I should see web
    redirects or web access failures, and so on on the IDS

    I've swapped out the cable, restarted the IDS, restarted the 4507, but
    the line protocol does not come up.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Bert

    Bert Prefect, Dec 22, 2003

  2. Bert Prefect

    Rik Bain Guest

    Can you see traffic on that port? I think that the reason you see it
    that way is that when it is monitoring other ports, it will not accept
    ingress traffic and report as down.

    Rik Bain

    Rik Bain, Dec 22, 2003

  3. Bert Prefect

    Bert Prefect Guest

    Yesterday, I did see on the IDS some security scans (such as SYN FIN)
    our ISP does on a monthly basis. Nothing beyond that and the internal
    backup server events.

    Thanks,
    Bert

    Bert Prefect, Dec 23, 2003