    the estinguished camera brand names (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus,
    Fuji, Lumix, Kodak,etc) , not those cheap 1MP cameras.
    Thanks for info.

    aniramca, May 12, 2007

  2. aniramca

    Jim Guest

    Don't think so. They would not sell.
    Repeat after me: An fstop is an fstop regardless of what kind of camera
    hooks to the lens.

    Jim

    Jim, May 12, 2007

  3. aniramca

    harrogate3 Guest

    The f-stop is the ratio of the area of the iris aperture to the focal
    length of the lens. As area is a square formula then halving the light
    will require half of the area and thus a change in the stop of root 2.
    Hence why lens stops go 2-2.8-4-5.6-8-11-16-22 - each step is a factor
    of 1.4 or root 2.

    harrogate3, May 12, 2007
  4. aniramca

    Allen Guest

    No. It is the ratio of the _diameter_ of the lens opening to the
    distance between the center of focus and the film/sensor plane. Thus a
    lens with an opening of 25 mm and a focal length of 100 mm is 1/4, or
    f/4, when the lens is focused on an object at "infinity". The distance
    between the center of focus and the film plane increases as the lens is
    focused on closer items; when the image is exactly the same size as the
    object, the distance is twice the expressed focal length, so the lens
    becomes in effect an f/8 lens and four times the exposure, or two stops,
    is required. All this applies strictly single-element lenses; when the
    number of elements is increased, especially in the case of zoom lenses,
    simple external measurements don't apply.
    Allen

    Allen, May 12, 2007
  5. observed
    1. If you mean non interchangeable lenses, then I recall an F2.0 Leica
    Digilux 2
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/leicadigilux2/
    or an f2.4 zoom on the Sony DSC-R1
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Sony/sony_dscr1.asp

    2. Don't know.

    Mike

    Michael J Davis
    <><
    Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
    the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".
    <><

    Michael J Davis, May 12, 2007
  6. aniramca

    Trev Guest

    The 3x zoom on the early G series canon and Casio 3 to 4000 was F2

    Trev, May 12, 2007
  7. aniramca

    Steve B Guest

    That was an excellent f2.0 lens on the Casio 3000EX.

    Steve B, May 13, 2007
  8. Other august group members have already replied to it.
    There are still a few fixed focal length P&S cameras in the market.

    Samsung A503 36mm fixed lens
    Ricoh GR Digital 28mm fixed lens
    Kodak C530 36mm fixed lens
    Kodak C310 35mm fixed lens

    Gautam Majumdar, May 13, 2007
  9. aniramca

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Most brands have at least one model that has a fixed lens, at the lowest
    price point. Just check the specifications.

    Ron Hunter, May 13, 2007
  10. aniramca

    DHB Guest

    Yes, the good old days when high end P&S cameras offered good
    quality fast lenses like my Canon G2 (f2-2.5, ), a hot shoe, & RAW
    mode!

    In all fairness, faster lenses were needed more back them
    because the electronic read noise was higher. The G2 has a 4MP,
    1/1.8" CCD & the G7 has 10MP on the same physical sized sensor. As I
    see it, dropping RAW mode & the swivel LCD form the Gx line may signal
    the end of the Gx line.

    Thankfully the MP race seems to have stalled @ about 10MP so I
    can only hope that manufactures may be getting ready to offer more
    useful features again. Face recognition & Image Stabilization (IS)
    can be very useful features for many P&S users.

    A hot shoe on the new S5 IS is a nice added feature to that
    line. It does make me wonder if that's not just 1 more nail in the Gx
    series coffin.

    I'm still hoping for 4 or 5MP B&W/IR *only* P&S with a high
    dynamic range & greater usable ISO. That may or may never happen
    because I know that this may be a fairly small niche market but I can
    only hope & wait.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, May 14, 2007
  11. aniramca

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings,

    If your question is related to the speed of an aperture, know that the
    aperture does not relate to speed, but to the amount of light that can pass
    through it. So, if you have a lens with an aperture of F/2.0 It will
    essentially be a large area. Since exposure is the combination of the lens
    (F/stop) and the shutter (the amount of time light is allowed to pass
    through the 'F/stop') together, it generally means that you can have a
    'Faster' shutter speed than if you if had a smaller aperture (F/Stop). So,
    it is not the lens that is fast, but the shutter (time).

    Most P&S digital cameras today have electromechanical diaphragm shutters.
    Or, the blades of the diaphragm that make up the F/stop will open and close
    as determined by a computation by the camera based on how much light is in a
    scene. Basically, the diaphragm opens and closes making it a single
    functioning shutter/aperture. Not like earlier focal plane shutters and
    film. The features of many of todays P&S that are most interest are often
    known as Click to Capture and Shot to Shot.

    Lenses are also regarded as fast in terms of how fast they can focus. Motors
    within the lens will move the elements to bring things into focus faster
    than others. This is not related to the F/Stop but to the elements of the
    lens itself.

    One camera that is quite fast is the Kodak P712. This camera has the
    following attributes.

    Click to capture = .07 sec. (wide, preview on)
    Shot to Shot = 1.0 sec. interval (wide, preview on)

    Pretty fast for what an advanced model in the P&S range.

    Hope this is what you were referring to.

    Talk to you soon.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, May 14, 2007
  12. I haven't studied camera design for many years - what you say is
    interesting. Tell me, on a P&S digicam, the shutter is wide open for
    focussing, so part of the delay is the shutter shutting before it opens
    for the exposure. My camera can give 1/2000 sec exposure - is all that a
    shutter function, or can the electronics 'quench' (as in a flash gun)
    the capture by the sensor?
    Mmmm, interesting thought I suppose.
    Perhaps, but you seem to have gone a long way round to omit mentioning
    its maximum aperture!

    Mike

    Michael J Davis
    <><

    Michael J Davis, May 14, 2007
  13. aniramca

    Bob Williams Guest

    The Panasonic FZ15 and FZ20 have a 12X optical Zoom (36-432mm) with
    f=2.8 across the entire Zoom range. AFAIK, no other digital camera has
    that wide an aperture at its maximum focal length.

    Most single focal length lenses are at the lowest end of the line and
    have very tiny sensors.
    One serious exception is the recently announced SIGMA DP1.
    It has a large 4/3 Foveon CMOS sensor and a single F.L. of 16.6 mm (35
    mm Equivalent is 28) Sigma calls it a 14MP sensor. Others may call it a
    5 MP, but the Foveon is unique among all sensors in that it does not use
    the Bayer pattern for interpolation.
    When it becomes available its MSRP will be around $1,000.
    For more info, see: http://www.sigma-dp1.com/
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, May 15, 2007
  14. aniramca

    Ron Baird Guest

    With such lenses, the aperture is determined by the onboard processor. The
    diaphragm opens to the noted aperture for the designated time and closes
    again. Very fast as it is a blade type of configuration on most.
    This is on the lenses you noted, and not necessarily on the lenses in P&S
    cameras. In that scenario as the lens extends or returns, the elements move.
    Hence the difference in exposure with an extended telephoto lens.
    It is all posted in the specs that can be found on the Kodak web page about
    his camera.
    http://www.kodak.com/go/P712
    The details on the lens and shutter are:
    Aperture of 36-432 mm (35 mm equiv.) f/2.8-3.7 SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH VARIOGON
    Lens (Max at F2.8)
    16sec-1/1000 sec. in 1/3 step increments

    Ron Baird, May 16, 2007