    connection what an user can get at home, I mean in general.
    Is that DSL, Cable, Satelite and what are yours experiances with speeds?

    Ozzie

    Ozzie, Nov 29, 2005

  2. Ozzie

    Chet Guest

    I am using cable and regularly get download speeds of 250K or more bytes per
    second. Problem with cable is that you can be affected by other users so it
    can slow down at heavy usage times of the day.

    My phone company (Verizon) is installing fiber optic cable in the area and
    they claim they will be able to have data rates over 1 million bytes per
    second but it will cost a bunch more than their current DSL offering.

    Satellite can be quite speedy for download but sometimes requires you to
    have a phone line connected for upload which means that you should probably
    count the price of a dedicated line as part of the cost.

    Chet, Nov 29, 2005

  3. I've got DSL and it is very fast. I'm connected via the Demon Network.

    GlasshouseJohn, Nov 29, 2005
  4. Ozzie

    Plato Guest

    YEs, version says they want to wire everybody up to fiber. One main
    reason is that they want to offer TV service to compete with comcast.

    However, they also put out press released ten years ago saying the same.
    I'll belive it when I see it.

    Plato, Nov 29, 2005
  5. Ozzie

    Travis Guest

    Here, If you really really are intrested then you take the time to read all
    this.

    I recommend ADSL or Satellite, I have dial-up but will get ADSL soon.

    Dial-Up: 16K, 28K, 36K, 56
    ISDN (Dial-Up, but special line used): 156K
    ADSL (Phone lines, but no dialing, you can use phone at same time): Around
    300K-500K, highs of 2.5MB
    Cable (Like your TV, no phone lines): 300K-500K, highs of 3.5MB
    Satellite (Like your satellite TV): 300-700K, up to 1.0MB

    Dial-Up is avalalble almost anywhere you have a phone line (Cheap, and free
    sometimes)
    ISDN is avalable in only certain areas (Never free, more than dial-up)
    ADSL is NOT avalable in rural areas, you must be near town (Sometimes
    expensive (or around 39 CAD)
    Cable is NOT avalable in rurual areas, if you can't get cable TV, you can't
    get Cable internet (Not as much as ADSL (around 29 CAD)
    Satellite: Avalable ANYWHERE (Expensive, around 59 dollars month, plus $500
    dollars pro install + modem and satellite dish (you own it)

    Travis, Nov 30, 2005
  6. Ozzie

    Travis Guest

    ALSO, the satellite internet I'm referring to is 2-way (means no phoneline
    needed for uploading, so satellite sends and receives at same time)

    Travis, Nov 30, 2005
  7. Ozzie

    Ozzie Guest

    2-way Satellite system sounds interesting. So in that case I don't need any
    local provider, I just get the equipment and..?
    How it goes, I mean is there any time limits or transfer limits via
    satellite?

    Ozzie, Nov 30, 2005
  8. Ozzie

    nos1eep Guest

    <
    <"Travis" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    <<> ALSO, the satellite internet I'm referring to is 2-way (means no
    phoneline
    <> needed for uploading, so satellite sends and receives at same time)
    <
    <2-way Satellite system sounds interesting. So in that case I don't
    need any
    <local provider, I just get the equipment and..?
    <How it goes, I mean is there any time limits or transfer limits via
    <satellite?

    www.starband.com/
    www.direcway.com/

    Of the 2 major providers, starband is the best. I used them for a
    couple of years before a direct lightning hit on my system.
    __

    -nos1eep

    nos1eep, Nov 30, 2005
  9. Ozzie

    Ozzie Guest

    Well ok now about my connection, I am using a cable and gprs connection.
    Cable with my provider is
    not that fast its a flate rate but only 128K for about 30 ? (cca 40 USD). Of
    course there is a faster options but they
    are not price realistic. Conection over the gprs using Nokia 6100 cell phone
    goes "fast". The same speed as a dial up cca 50K
    for 20 ? but with a 1 gb month transfer limit which is enough for this kind
    of connection (at least for me 'cause I use my home pc over the cable for
    downloading bigger files, important for me is that I can make connection
    using laptop and gprs anywhere where there is a covering).

    Ozzie, Nov 30, 2005
  10. Ozzie

    Ozzie Guest

    Thanks,
    I just looked at those sites I found out that is available only in US, Porto
    Rico... but not Europe where I am. Also
    I am not satisfied with the speeds which are written there. Download is only
    500kbps, I except much more from the satellite
    system. I mean, to buy dish and other equipment I'll spend aprox. 1000
    untill I get it working and what do I get back what adsl can not give me?

    Ozzie, Nov 30, 2005
  11. Ozzie

    nos1eep Guest

    <
    <"nos1eep" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    <<> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 01:27:56 GMT, "Ozzie" <>
    chewed
    <> somnambulantly over a chucker-full cup of spasm and bleated:
    <>
    <> <
[...]

    Nothing. It is a way to get broadband to rural areas. There ARE
    satellite systems out there that will give you broad bandwidth, 2 MB/s
    or more. http://www.bentleytelecom.co.uk/ This provider covers most
    of the world, but if you need to ask how much, you cannot afford it.
    LOL
    __

    -nos1eep

    nos1eep, Nov 30, 2005
  12. Ozzie

    Fakename Guest

    Usually 2-way Sat systems have really restrictive bandwith caps. You
    should definetly check that out before investing your cash in it.

    Fakename, Nov 30, 2005
  13. Ozzie

    Ozzie Guest

    Yes I've heard of it too. But is there any user who can give the
    experince opinion? Somebody who has it at home?

    Ozzie, Nov 30, 2005
  14. Ozzie

    Ozzie Guest

    Well If we are talking about 2MegaBits then we have an ADSL (the same speed)
    for cca 30 USD here in Italy.
    If there are MegaBytes then is great. On the site it says:
    2 way satellite broadband services offered by Bentley Telecom, connection
    speeds of up to 2 Mb/s (4 times faster than most ADSL connections...)
    4 times faster than most (some of them) .... I am dissapinted with the
    satellites then. I thought that those speeds are much more
    faster. What about when I make a connection on P2P clients there are always
    many user who claims for their speeds 10Mbit/s, are they lying or..? What's
    going on, is there a connection which can afford me 10mbit/s.
    10bit / 8 gives me (in theory) 1.25 MBytes per second. If I can reach half
    of it I would be satiesfied.

    Ozzie, Nov 30, 2005
  15. Ozzie

    Travis Guest

    Satellite is offered from many companies, DIRECTWAY, is a satellite
    internet, it's a canadian company, but you could google search satellite
    internet and find it.

    You don't need a "local" provider, DIRECTWAY is in vancouver or ottawa.
    Transfer as much as you want

    But I should warn you it is expensive

    Travis, Dec 1, 2005
  16. Ozzie

    Travis Guest

    500KB is just an average that THEY say, you can get 1.0MB or 2.0MB max,
    you'll probaly get around 800-900KBs if you in the right location thought

    And 500KBs in fast, that means 30MB in 60 seconds, 2.5 hours in dial-up

    Travis, Dec 1, 2005
  17. Ozzie

    Fakename Guest

    My friend worked at a rural school where they had 2-way sattelite and
    the bandwidth cap was 500mb/day total. If they went over they got cut
    back to 56k for the remainder of that 24 hour period. That cost them
    about $250/month.

    Fakename, Dec 1, 2005
  18. Ozzie

    Ozzie Guest

    But are you talking about Mbits or Mbytes, that's what I don't understand???

    Ozzie, Dec 1, 2005