    auto-focus might be an option if it doesn't involve holding down a button
    part way.

    Thanks.

    Ronald H. Nicholson Jr., May 4, 2004

  2. Ronald H. Nicholson Jr.

    Don Guest

    Continuous autofocus might do it, but IMO it's a bad compromise. I leave it
    turned off on my G2. It's *really* hard on batteries, and I find it just as
    slow. To me, pointing where you want to shoot for a couple of seconds
    before shooting is tantamount to holding the shutter button halfway down,
    and gives less control over what's going on

    In general, the dSLRs are going to be faster than the non-SLRs. Most seem
    to be as fast as their non-digital counterparts. But you pay for it.

    Don

    Don, May 4, 2004

  3. Ronald H. Nicholson Jr.

    Davidmystery Guest

    I've found reasonably fast autofocus on my Pentax Optio S40. Kodak
    EasyShare cameras also seem to focus and lock very rapidly.

    -Davidmystery

    Davidmystery, May 5, 2004
  4. Ronald H. Nicholson Jr.

    Ed Guest

    I've just gone through the same dilemma. I tried a Konica/Minolta A2
    and a Sony DSC-F828 (Walmart.com carries the Konica and Sears.com the
    Sony and both have 30 day rentals, er, return guarantee).. Also tried
    a couple of the mini-P&Shooters. Returned them all and got the D70.
    NOTHING in a P&S camera will do (unless you can deal with the "hold
    button down half-way" routine which doesn't always work and is a
    PITA). If you TRULY want virtually ZERO pre-focus or shutter delay.
    you only want a DSLR - there is no other option no matter what the
    reviews say. I REALLY wanted a compact/semi-compact P&Shooter like the
    above because of the weight and features (quick mini-movies) but I
    also wanted that picture of my Grandkids smile which was ALWAYS missed
    by a fraction of a second due to Lag and delay.

    The Konica/Minolta had Cont. auto-focus but you DO have to hold the
    shutter half way and it did not work well at all.

    Sorry, but even in the $1000 range NON-SLR's you will not get what you
    want ... that is if your like me and want as close ZERO lag/delay as
    can be had.

    Ed, May 5, 2004