Fast switchable way to block/unblock certain web sites?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ., Jun 29, 2005.

  1. .

    . Guest

    I have two computers at home and use a wireless router to access the web
    from both of them via one internet connection.

    One of my kids has a hotmail account, and sometimes as punishment, we
    block access to the account.

    The way I do this is that I have a hosts file (this is in Windows 2000)
    that contains several sites I never want accessed on the computer the
    kids use. I also have a file (call it hostsHotmailBlock) that is a
    hosts file with several lines to block hotmail, and a third file (call
    it hostsHotmailNoBlock) that lacks the hotmail blocking lines.

    I then have a couple bat files, launched from the Start menu:

    1. hotmail_on.bat copies the hostsHotmailNoBlock file to hosts
    2. hotmail_off.bat copies the hostsHotmailBlock file to hosts

    This works fine - except if I mistakenly add blocks for additional web
    sites, I need to remember to also add them to the Block and NoBlock
    files.

    If you're not following this, you're probably already screaming "KLUDGE!"

    And you'd be right.

    My question is, is there an effective and easier technique for
    situationally blocking access to hotmail or whatever sites I'd like to?

    And no, using my Netgear router software isn't the answer, as I don't
    want to block web access from the computer *I* use that's part of the
    home network. I just want to block access from one computer.

    Suggestions?

    ., Jun 29, 2005

  2. .

    pcbutts1 Guest