    link above).

    Very thanks for the answers.

    / Anders

    Anders Boholdt-Petersen, Mar 4, 2011

  2. I think this approach is unhelpful and unwise. If you want to be
    careful about not losing data when you shut down your computer, you
    should leave these settings alone, or, if you don't care, you can
    simply switch off power, and your computer is instantly off. However,
    data saved to disk may be not actually on the disk straight away - or
    am I thinking of Microsoft SQL Server instead of Windows...

    I'd also be nervous about this possibly disagreeing with Windows
    Update...

    If your computer is healthy, programs will shut down as promptly as
    they safely can when they are told to do so; consequently, this change
    would make no difference. If you do frequently see the "End Task"
    dialog box when shutting down your computer, then this may be a useful
    way to tame the offending program, if you accept any risk.

    As far as I can see, you can test the behaviour that affects Windows
    desktop programs simply by typing some text into Windows Notepad, not
    saving it, and attempting to shut down the PC - and ignore Notepad
    prompting you to save its document. After a few seconds, Windows will
    warn you that Notepad isn't closing - or if you have applied these
    registry changes. Windows will just kill the program.

    <http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26476-desktop-shutdown-tweaks-
    combined.html>
    provides an example from which it appears that by saving a Notepad
    text file as "anders.reg" containing these lines,

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
    "AutoEndTasks"="1"

    and then double-clicking that file - you will get the change that you
    have asked for. However, I'm not sure that the author has got the
    correct Registry record type. See what happens, if you still want
    to. ;-)

    Robert Carnegie, Mar 5, 2011

  3. Anders Boholdt-Petersen

    Rob Guest

    Windows7x64 Pro shuts down in 7.2 seconds on my rig (only has Office
    2010 and about half a dozen other standard apps (eg Nero, usual Adobe
    stuff) though. Maybe something you have installed is slowing it down?
    Might be worth checking the event logs and looking at which 3rd-party
    processes are the real cause of the issue.

    Rob, Mar 16, 2011