    bst for games?

    Thanks

    Mark

    Mark Hitchman, Jan 2, 2007

  2. whts fr cr? lnx hs mprvd cnsdrbly snc rh6. r u wntng 2 rn wndws sftwre n a
    lnx PC? u my nd 2 nstl wn (or an mltor) 2 gt wndws sftwre wrkng n lnx PC.

    (transtated from txt spk into English)

    What's Far Cry? Linux has improved considerably since RedHat 6 (Was that
    the version that you tried?) Are you wanting to run Windows software on a
    Linux PC? You may need to install Wine (or an emulator) in order to get
    Windows software to work on a Linux PC.

    Have you tried using Wine? I understand that there is a version of Wine
    that is being developed especially to get Windows games working on Linux
    computers.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 3, 2007

  3. Mark Hitchman

    Fred Dagg Guest

    ..... or you could just stick with Windows ....

    (Sorry, couldn't resist, but it is a pretty legitimate point...)

    Fred Dagg, Jan 3, 2007
  4. Hi there,

    It can be played under wine, the Windows API emulator, but it might
    be a royal annoyance trying to get it running. I recall wine needs
    you to alter the Far Cry config files to use the OpenGL driver, but
    that driver is only there to give basic OpenGL visuals for the game,
    as Far Cry really is written for latest DirectX 9 Windows drivers.

    Cedega, a commercial (costs money) build of wine has this page...

    http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=3297

    ....so it can be run, but I just run it in Windows, as its driver
    and hardware requirement are too taxing to make emulation a good
    solution there...
    Most linux gamers use nvidia graphics cards, with up-to-date nvidia
    graphics drivers. Choice of distro is not that important so long as
    you choose the better hardware options.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jan 3, 2007
  5. I do not understand the txt speak, why you do that?

    Mark Hitchman, Jan 3, 2007
  6. An excellent point, I only play with linux for fun, I am slowly getting more
    things to work with it so one day I wont have to use pirated windows :)

    Mark Hitchman, Jan 3, 2007
  7. Mark Hitchman

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Heh, fair enough. Linux is a fantastic operating system in many
    respects, and a great toy for computer geeks. Personally, I wouldn't
    recommend it as your primary OS, as you'll always run into problems
    such as Far Cry not running on it, but the rawness of it means that
    playing around with it will teach you a lot about how computers really
    work.

    Good luck, and enjoy.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 3, 2007
  8. Mark Hitchman

    Fred Dagg Guest

    To be frank, because he's a dick...

    Fred Dagg, Jan 3, 2007
  9. Mark Hitchman

    Chris Lim Guest

    I think because you missed out the 'e' in the word 'best' in your
    original post, the assumption was you were using txt speak. (Yes I
    know.... but that's the sort of logic you have to get used to from some
    posters).

    Chris Lim, Jan 3, 2007
  10. So Linux is not PC? Who makes PC? Is it Microsoft or IBM?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 3, 2007
  11. Mark Hitchman

    Earl Grey Guest

    Chinamen make PC

    Earl Grey, Jan 3, 2007
  12. Mark Hitchman

    El Chippy Guest

    Yeah, i think it is pretty PC.. don't remember being asked my age race
    sex or religion when i installed ubuntu... so unless they really have
    upped the stakes with the autodetection routines i cant see how it
    discriminates ;-)

    El Chippy, Jan 3, 2007
  13. Mark Hitchman

    Rebel Lion Guest

    mmmm, so running linux makes a personal computer no longer a personal
    computer. Or does it make it no longer politically correct ?
    What is a fully compatible personal computer, does it mean it won't run
    all software made for all oses. Then your windows computer is not a fully
    compatible pc either. You are as usual talking through the hole at the
    lower end of your body rather than the top end

    Bollocks, it was a question not an admission, you really need to learn
    the difference.

    You also have to learn to recognise what a person is actually running,
    ie the op is not a linux user but has all the attributes of a troll

    Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3028

    Rebel Lion, Jan 3, 2007
  14. Mark Hitchman

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Many companies are PC compatible - Linux isn't compatible with many PC
    software.

    Back to the topic just how does the OP get the PC software Far Cry to run on
    Linux, genius?

    You will notice that Microsoft doesn't have a damn thing to do with Far Cry
    yet it does run on Windows fine enough for all that.

    Now lets see how you get on trying to run this PC specially developed bit of
    software on Linux of all things.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jan 3, 2007
  15. Mark Hitchman

    E. Scrooge Guest

    He never actually said it was for himself.

    If you don't think that Far Cry isn't PC software then what do you think it
    is then?

    Any half decent PC should be able to run that bit of PC software.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jan 3, 2007
  16. Hi there,

    Windows PC software is sometimes not Linux compatible. You might
    wanna brush up your comprehension skills, as well as your basic
    understanding of the subject here before you make more of an
    arse of yourself...
    Read my earlier post stupid. He might be able to, but only using
    OpenGL. I've tested the OpenGL driver that comes with Far Cry on
    Windows, and it works, but doesn't look as good as the DirectX 9
    driver. Now that you've blurted your say I might just have a go
    at getting it running in Linux...
    It would surprise me if the game devs hadn't spent at least some
    time refering to the DX9 devs, and/or ATI/NV devs, to try and get
    the best out of their game.
    Go read my earlier post, where I have provided a link to screenshots
    of the very thing you mention. It costs a small amount to subscribe
    to Transgaming, but Far Cry appears to work in their build of wine.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jan 3, 2007
  17. Mark Hitchman

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Only after several bottles of the stuff.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jan 3, 2007
  18. You used some txt spk. See above. ;o)

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 3, 2007
  19. What scroogie is saying is that Far Cry is WINDOWS software (which runs on
    a PC).

    Linux software is software that, amongst other platforms, also runs on a PC.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 3, 2007
  20. Mark Hitchman

    AD. Guest

    Is MS-DOS software still PC software?

    You can't run a lot of that stuff (especially stuff with direct
    hardware access) under Windows anymore either. Does that mean lots of
    MS-DOS software stopped being PC Software at some point?

    AD., Jan 3, 2007