    you can point me in the right direction or at least to a FAQ/tutorial on
    VOIP it would help.

    Thanks.

    Clint Sharp, Dec 14, 2006

  2. Clint Sharp

    Jono Guest

    Clint Sharp used his keyboard to write :
    Are the eight lines, together with the analogue exchange, in one
    location and the required voip phone in another?

    Below are some good reference guides, if I understood you correctly.

    <http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/spa_backtoback_1x_spa3000_and_1x_spa1001.pdf>

    <http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/spa_backtoback_2x_spa3000.pdf>

    <http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/spa_backtoback_2x_spa3000_and_1x_spa2000.pdf>

    <http://www.provu.co.uk/support.html>

    Jono, Dec 14, 2006

  3. Clint Sharp

    Clint Sharp Guest

    Yes, that pretty much sums it up except that it's VOIP phones plural.
    Looking to link them to the existing office and PBX

    Clint Sharp, Dec 14, 2006
  4. Clint Sharp

    Paul Guest

    You don't say what PBX you have in your current office but if it is an
    ordinary analogue one (i.e. not some proprietary digital thing) then you
    can use the Linksys/Sipura adaptors. You need a free analogue extension
    port for each "remote" telephone on the system, just like you would if
    you were connecting them locally. You connect a Linksys SPA-3102 to
    each port which is also connected to the Internet. Then at the remote
    location you have more Linksys adaptors (PAP2Ts would probably be the
    cheapest solution, you could plug two independent phones into each one)
    with the analogue telephones connected to them. Following the
    configuration in my PDFs above means that any number dialled on the
    telephones is sent over the Internet, to the SPA-3102s and into the PBX.

    The trick to getting it right usually lies in configuring the 3102 to
    interoperate with your PBX system. In particular, line voltages and
    disconnect handling are areas people struggle. You need to know the
    exact specification of your PBX, the SPA-3102 can be setup to work with
    pretty much anything but you need to know what you're aiming for. Just
    assuming the specs of the analogue ports are the same as a BT wall
    socket has caused many people many sleepless nights. :)

    cheers,
    Paul.

    Paul, Dec 15, 2006
  5. Clint Sharp

    Clint Sharp Guest

    Thanks to all who replied, I've got some reading to do but at least i
    now know where to start. This VOIP stuff is really interesting, how
    similar is it to the 21cn stuff BT is rolling out, I.E. is BT using the
    same protocols etc. just on a huge scale?

    Clint Sharp, Dec 16, 2006
  6. Clint Sharp

    JW Guest

    With multiple lines, you'd be better looking at a multi-port
    gateway. These typically come with 4, 8 or 16 ports and
    there are versions for the PBX extension (FXO) and (if using
    analogue phones) the terminals (FXS).

    Note that users might not be able to transfer calls (except,
    maybe, to other gateway terminals) or access other PBX features.

    JW, Dec 17, 2006
  7. Clint Sharp

    Tim Guest

    The terminology you need to know is longline extension.

    Tim

    Tim, Dec 18, 2006
  8. Clint Sharp

    Tim Guest

    In theory yes.

    In practice, who knows.

    Tim

    Tim, Dec 18, 2006
  9. Clint Sharp

    hairydog Guest

    Think so. My guess is that they'll use Cisco kit and/or protocols. But
    BT seem to have the ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory,
    so no doubt there will be a snag.

    hairydog, Dec 20, 2006
  10. Clint Sharp

    Paul Guest

    Paul, Dec 20, 2006
  11. Clint Sharp

    ale.cx Guest

    ale.cx, Dec 20, 2006
  12. Clint Sharp

    Clint Sharp Guest

    Not sure who they're using but it sank Marconi as they were bidding to
    supply it a few years ago and lost, just can't remember who to at the
    moment.

    Clint Sharp, Dec 20, 2006