    Jamie Guest

    When I switch my computer on sometimes the fan revs for about 30 seconds.
    Can anybody tell me if this is normal.

    Jamie, Jun 28, 2004

  2. Jamie

    Chet Guest

    Are you sure that the sound you hear is a fan and not a CDROM drive? I get
    a similar sound if I have a disk in one of the CD drives.

    Chet, Jun 28, 2004

  3. Jamie

    Jamie Guest

    It happens when there is no CD in the drive.

    Jamie, Jun 29, 2004
  4. Jamie

    Thor Guest

    The fans may not actually be "revving", but rather the bearings are probably
    just getting worn, and the fan is more noisy for a short period after
    starting up. This is pretty common.

    Thor, Jun 29, 2004
  5. Jamie

    Plato Guest

    Yes, normal for a dirty fan.

    Plato, Jun 29, 2004
  6. Jamie

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I usually clean my fan once a week, you wouldn't believe how much dust it
    sucks into it.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jun 29, 2004
  7. Jamie

    Plato Guest

    Check your air conditioner filters as well :)

    Plato, Jun 30, 2004
  8. Jamie

    Jerry G. Guest

    It sounds like the bearings in one of the fans in the computer are starting
    to fail. Remove the covers, and listen to the system start up. See if you
    can locate the bad fan. Once located, get a replacement for it. This is best
    done before it fails completely.

    --

    Jerry G. GLG Technologies GLG

    Jerry G., Jun 30, 2004