    picture.

    Many thanks.

    Marcus booth.

    marcus booth, Nov 30, 2003

  2. marcus booth

    nosredna Guest

    Have everyone sit close together, and you, the photographer, get as
    close as possible to the subjects. You don't need to get their whole
    bodies in the photo. A plain background is best, unless you want the
    photo say something about their interests. The magic word: close. Plenty
    of natural light is another good concept. Take plenty of shots to get
    that one special one. Try to get them to relax so they look natural.

    nosredna, Nov 30, 2003

  3. marcus booth

    Barry Smith Guest

    In message <>
    I would add to that, arrange the group so that there is not too much
    height difference, e.g. adults sitting, children standing, if you are
    planning head/shoulders shots and with the younger subjects at the front.

    You could try some quick shots of various arrangements, not bothering
    too much initially on lighting, focus etc. and see which groupings
    appear to be the most pleasing/natural to the eye. (Actually you could
    try this without even taking pictures).

    Doing a quick Google search I found
    http://www.emeraldhand.com/sites/gregphoto/tips.html
    which has some good tips in the section "Portrait Tips" which starts part
    way down the page.

    Barry

    Barry Smith, Nov 30, 2003
  4. marcus booth

    Tony Rice Guest

    Couple of tips I've picked up over the years

    Dont have them say cheese, this just tenses people up. Make it something
    unexpected. "farfignuggen" often gets the older adn median aged people to
    smile, the youngn's to laugh.

    Coach the oldest member of the party to blurt out something funny, you'll
    get a great relaxed looking photo.

    Take 2 photos, one when they think you are taking the photo and one right
    after (not before). Your subjects will still be pretty much posed but much
    more relaxed.

    Get as close as possible. Fill the frame from chest up on the bottom row
    of people up to the top of the heads of those in the back row. Dont use a
    built in flash, it's just too harsh.

    Use a bounce flash if you've got one.

    Smiles aren't the end-all be-all of portrait photography. Focus on
    capturing the moment, not creating it.

    Tony Rice, Dec 1, 2003
  5. marcus booth

    Alan Walker Guest

    Try www.girlfiles.co.uk. if you don't mind the porny bits - the
    guidelines are much the same.

    Alan Walker, Dec 1, 2003
  6. marcus booth

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    This is a good trick I use to take very natural pictures of people.
    I let them pose and I PRETEND to shoot (or I actually shoot
    if I'm using a digital body, nothing wasted anyway) and then I tell
    them I'm finished and shoot unobserved (usually nobody pays
    attention to me anyway when they're talking to each other :) )
    when they're relaxed.

    Works every time!

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 1, 2003
  7. I would add, use a moderate telephoto setting, not a wide angle setting,
    on your zoom, if you have zoom. Close-up wide angle shots can distort
    faces, and the ladies will not thank you for that. :)

    Judson McClendon, Dec 3, 2003