Failed again w/a 675 on 70-272

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Reuben, Apr 15, 2007.

  1. Reuben

    Reuben Guest

    Just when I thought I was gonna get over "the hump", I ran into another brick
    wall once again and only made a 675 on the 70-272 exam. I am starting to
    think that a dead man has a better chance of passing this exam than I do!!!

    Did use the MS Press book and ExamCram. Was even hitting in the 90s on the
    practice tests that came w/the MS Press book. Even did some reading of the
    Windows XP Inside Out: Deluxe Edition book.

    Even used all but three minutes of the allotted time on the exam. With my
    luck, I probably changed an answer or two I should not have changed, thus, my
    score falling short of 700.

    All the questions were multiple choice except for one. I do not do well on
    multiple choice tests. I remember back when I was in college, a psychology
    instructor tried to get me to take an all essay exam because I did better on
    essays than multiple choice questions. But, I did not chose the all essay
    route since I did not want any special treatment. Thus, I worked much harder
    and still pulled an 'A' out of the class.

    Of course, I am definitely NOT expecting any special treatment when it comes
    to these Microsoft exams. I think I do better with more hands on simulations
    than multiple choice. I just need to do more hands on work w/IE, OE, and
    Office. Of course, I don't think you can ever do too much hands on practice
    getting ready for these types of exams. Unfortunately at work, I am stuck
    using Office 2000 instead of Office XP or Office 2003. And, since I work for
    a municipal government, I'm definitely not holding my breath waiting for any
    changes. However, I do have access to Windows XP at work and home, and I do
    have Office 2003 at home.

    Did much better on the "Configuring Application Security" part of the exam,
    but I did worse on the "Configuring and Troubleshooting Applications"
    questions. I'm still not doing well with the "Resolving Issues Related to
    Application Customization" questions.

    I definitely need to do more hands on practice, but I am feeling that maybe
    I also need a third study guide to help push me over "the hump." I'm just
    wondering which one will do the trick. Sybex? Transcender (very expensive)?
    SelfTest Software? Anyone else? I definitely want to pass the exam on the
    third try. After all, some folks say the third time is the charm. I just
    need that "extra something" to get me over "the hump". Will take a short
    break from studying in order to regroup.

    Reuben, Apr 15, 2007

  2. That was the point of my question when you posted before the exam. I
    asked how much hands-on experience you had with the objectives. Please
    read my article titled, "Seven Steps to Certification Success" located
    http://www.certguard.com/Seven-Steps-to-Certification-Success.asp. It
    reiterates my point of experience before certifications -- and why.
    No you do not. You *NEED* experience in configuring, diagnosing, and
    troubleshooting the technology. Use the study guides to enhance your
    hands-on experience, not substitute it.

    Michael D. Alligood, Apr 15, 2007

  3. Reuben

    Reuben Guest

    Well obviously I have had some experience if I made a 799 on 70-271 after
    only taking the exam once.

    Reuben, Apr 15, 2007
  4. Your experience with the 70-271 objectives are not in question. As you
    said, you passed that one. I was referring to the lack of experience in
    dealing with the 70-272 objectives. Again as you said, "I just need to
    do more hands on work w/IE, OE, and Office." Those products deal with
    the 70-272 objectives -- not the 70-271.

    Michael D. Alligood, Apr 15, 2007
  5. Reuben

    Reuben Guest

    I definitely deal with IE on a daily basis though maybe not as in-depth as
    the exam wants me to know it. I don't work too much with OE. I do use
    Office 2003 but probably use a very small part of the features of Word and
    Excel (mostly basic stuff).

    Reuben, Apr 15, 2007
  6. Reuben

    Reuben Guest

    I do work with IE daily at home and at work but perhaps not as in-depth as
    the exam wants me to know it. I definitely have not worked too much with
    Outlook Express. I have worked with Office 2003 but still mostly doing basic
    things.

    Reuben, Apr 15, 2007
  7. I would guess to say that a majority of your issue came with customizing
    and troubleshooting Office? Would this be correct? There really isn't
    much to OE, and not that much more with IE.

    Michael D. Alligood, Apr 15, 2007
  8. Reuben

    TheITGirl Guest

    Hello Reuben

    As far as Office 2003 is concerned, you shouldn't really get any questions
    about creating and editing documents, eg. styles, Excel formulae, Word
    tables, animations in PowerPoint slides etc. What you really need to
    practise is the following:-

    1. How to customise the various applications - in particular the menus and
    toolbars. This is REALLY important.
    2. You will need to be familiar with the various tabs of the Options dialog
    boxes in all of the applications, and what the various options do - eg. why
    would you select "background printing" in Word?
    3. You need to be familiar with the various macro security levels (but you
    won't need to know any VB code!).
    4. Proofing tools - you need to know how AutoCorrect and AutoFormat work,
    and be familiar with all the Spelling and Grammar options. You will also
    need to know how to edit the custom dictionary.

    And, as Michael says, you will need to have a play with Outlook Express. I
    too have plenty of experience with Outlook, but rather less with OE!

    Best of luck next time!

    IT Girl MCDST

    TheITGirl, Apr 16, 2007