    paper.

    Any thoughts on why and how to prevent?

    Thanks, J.

    John Jones, Sep 2, 2006

  2. Nothing unusual.

    Not much you can do. All inkjet images fade over time - some faster than
    others. Color photo's printed using the traditional film/paper process fade
    too, but generally take 20+ years before its really noticeable.

    Keep your images in the dark, use a UV protection spray, check the longevity
    of your inks, pray.

    Dangling Gubbo, Sep 2, 2006

  3. John Jones

    Slack Guest

    Cheap ink and you probably didn't use archival equipment. If your stuff
    is good enough to hang on the wall, then have a professional shop like
    http://www.whcc.com/ print/mount it for you. You're gonna pay $$, but
    they should last a lifetime. There are many other quality shops, but
    WHCC comes to mind first.

    If you insist on doing it at home, check out the Printing forum over at
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1003 , but be
    prepared to still spend some $$ for a quality printer and good ink. I
    went thru the same questions and disappointment you are now. For me,
    after researching the subject and having some pictures I wanted to
    print http://www.pbase.com/slack/sunsets , I decided it is worth just
    paying a professional shop.

    Good luck.

    Slack, Sep 2, 2006
  4. John Jones

    Fred Guest

    You can't prevent it. You can however slow down the process by using a
    Top-coat Spray available in aerosol cans.

    Fred, Sep 3, 2006
  5. John Jones

    Vanguard Guest

    Other posters provided some suggestions on how to preserve your old
    photo or to get it professionally printed. However, since you printed
    it then the file still exists (after all, if it was important enough
    to hang then it was important enough to save the file since fire,
    pets, and kids do happen). Why not just print another fresh copy?

    Vanguard, Sep 3, 2006
  6. John Jones

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    As others have said, it is only to be expected. I find that if I
    laminate them they last pretty well - I have some hanging on my wall
    which are seven or eight years old.

    Oldus Fartus, Sep 3, 2006
  7. John Jones

    John Jones Guest

    Ok many thanks for the useful pointers...and last batch laminated to see if
    any improvement.
    Cheers. J
    ----------------

    John Jones, Sep 3, 2006
  8. John Jones

    phrogee Guest

    Remember, you must let them dry for seven days (7) before confining them to
    any holder. Keep out of direct light, the biggest destroyer of photos. This
    will help. They should last your lifetime at least. HP has a high quality
    ink for their *photo printers*.

    http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/331414-0-0-225-121.html

    http://tinyurl.com/ebwp9

    phrogee, Sep 3, 2006
  9. John Jones

    JANA Guest

    Photos printed with most inkjet printers will fade with time when exposed to
    air and light. This is because the ink they use is water based, and the dies
    used are not very permanent.

    I believe they have a special paper now that will make the print permanent.
    The paper contains a chemical that reacts with the ink.

    The best and most economic thing to do, is to take your memory card or CD
    disk to a professional photo printing place, and let them do the printing
    for you. Their equipment is far superior to what you can afford at home, and
    their prints will be photo quality. When you consider your costs for the
    paper, ink, and printer usage, having the prints done outside will work out
    a lot cheaper.

    You an also edit the pictures how you want using any photo editing software,
    save the pictures to a removable media, and then bring them to the photo
    printing service.

    There are also many very good printing services that you can use on the net.
    They will print the pictures and mail them back to you. You can pay them
    using a credit card. Some of the companies offering these services are major
    companies, and they do excellent work.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    Various A4 colour photos we have stuck onto the bedroom walls for 1 or two
    years have noticeably faded.

    Is this expected?

    They were printed using Hewlett Packard printer, HP ink and photo quality

    JANA, Sep 3, 2006