Factory refurb printer - safe buy?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Brian, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    I'm in the market for a newer and better printer. My room mate has an Epson
    Stylus C82 and it prints real fast, and the photo quality is awesome (I
    printed on best setting w/ photo paper - beautiful results). I am not ready
    to pay top dollar for a printer though.

    I am on Epson's website and I see that I can get the C82 printer for $74.00
    with free shipping and a free USB cable. Heck, on eBay it looks like it'll
    be about 85-90 shipped, then the USB cost on top of that. So I am wondering,
    will a refurbed printer be just as good as buying a new one? I know that it
    is one other persons problem, but the refurbs are factory fixed to be good
    as new are they not? For the price, it seems like a GREAT deal.

    Also, for ink, would generic (non-oem) cartridges work just as well as EPSON
    branded cartridges? I see generic sealed colors are much cheaper than EPSON
    marked ones. How would these perform?

    If anyone could help with these two questions I would appreciate it. I'd
    really like to get a good printer like this and this seems like a really
    good one and a good deal. What are your thoughts on this?

    Thanks,
    Brian

    Brian, Sep 14, 2003

  2. I've raved on about the Epson Stylus C82 before, but since you've already
    seen it in action, I'll let it slip by this time :)

    Refurbished printers are basically "Good-as-new". One way to look at
    refurb'd hardware is that any defects it had originally have already been
    fixed! I paid a bit more than $74 for mine, and had to buy my own cable, so
    yes, I would say that is one hell of a deal. I'd go for it if I were you.
    I think it would be money well spent.

    As for the ink question, I couldn't say. I stumbled on a good sale of Epson
    ink awhile ago and am using the last of those right now. I have heard mixed
    reviews on generic ink. Some ofit is good, some of it is bad. *shrug*
    Hopefully someone else who has more experience with that will answer...

    Oh.. one thing to consider with the ink... Make sure it won't void your
    warranty if you use soemthing other than Epson ink. I never thought about
    checking on that before now...

    But anyways... hope that helped some :)

    Sentient Fluid, Sep 14, 2003

  3. Brian

    PJB Guest

    Ba careful with ink cartridges, Epson have started using ink
    tanks with chips in, if the replacement ink cartridge
    doesn't have the chip, the printer may refuse to use them.
    Not sure if this applies to a refurb C82 though,ask around
    if you intend buying an Epson.

    P.

    PJB, Sep 14, 2003
  4. Brian

    Rottie Guest

    I would not hesitate. I have had problems with a new Epson, Under the
    warranty, they replaced it with a "refurbished" model. I was told by the
    service guy that it was as good as new, and that all the refurbished
    printers are mainly old inspected plastic bits, but the main components are
    new. I could not tell the difference between the two!
    As or cartridges, I have been using compatible cartridges for years,
    with out too many problems. But recently I have found that the ink seems to
    be a lot inferior. I have found that every time I want to print, I have to
    clean the heads. This is a pain in the .... as it needs to be done 20-30
    times. This consumes ink and paper, and takes ages! I then but Epson
    cartridges back in and its all OK. I thought it might be a bad batch of
    cartridges but I have heard some other people having the same problem,
    different suppliers & manufacturers!
    PS, I am in the UK, so this is a UK example!

    Rottie, Sep 14, 2003
  5. Brian

    Jan Guest

    $7G2.81325
    @twister.nyroc.rr.com>,

    o says...
[...]

    I got an HP 750XI refurbished for $89.00. It didn't look like it had ever been out
    of the box and I am very happy with it. And it came with the 1 year warranty as well.

    Jan, Sep 14, 2003
  6. Brian

    Mellowed Guest

    I read an test article I think in PC World maybe last months issue. The net
    result is that the non-oem inks are significantly inferior. Even the ink
    from the same vendor differs from batch to batch. Be prepared to be
    dissatisfied with imitations. Maybe you could search the PC World web site
    to see if there is any information on the subject.

    :

    Mellowed, Sep 14, 2003
  7. Brian

    Mellowed Guest

    I did a search. Follow-up on this link.

    :
[...]
    : :

    Mellowed, Sep 14, 2003
  8. That was an interesting link. Thanks Mellowed

    Sentient Fluid, Sep 14, 2003
  9. Brian

    Mellowed Guest

    You're welcome

    : That was an interesting link. Thanks Mellowed
    :
    :
    : : >
    : > I did a search. Follow-up on this link.
    : > http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,111767,00.asp
    : >
    : >
    : > : > :
    : > : I read an test article I think in PC World maybe last months issue.
    The
    : > net
    : > : result is that the non-oem inks are significantly inferior. Even the
    : ink
    : > : from the same vendor differs from batch to batch. Be prepared to be
    : > : dissatisfied with imitations. Maybe you could search the PC World web
    : > site
    : > : to see if there is any information on the subject.
    : > :
    : > :
    : > :
    : > :
    : > : : > : : I'm in the market for a newer and better printer. My room mate has
    an
    : > : Epson
    : > : : Stylus C82 and it prints real fast, and the photo quality is awesome
    : (I
    : > : : printed on best setting w/ photo paper - beautiful results). I am
    not
    : > : ready
    : > : : to pay top dollar for a printer though.
    : > : :

    Mellowed, Sep 14, 2003
  10. Brian

    Not Me Guest

    Recently saw an ad (Office Depot?) for C82 @ $49.95 might check around.

    Not Me, Sep 15, 2003
  11. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Thanks for the posts everyone.

    Officedepot.com has it listed and i can get it for 58.64 after $20 rebate
    and a $20 off coupon code, but it says it's discontinued. Staples has it on
    sale for 79.99 w/ a $20 mail rebate, im on my wy to go pick it up soon if
    they have them in stock. In the end with the cable it'll cost $14 more than
    buying refurbed from epson, but i'll pay the extra $14 to get it two weeks
    sooner and brand new!

    Thanks again all

    Brian, Sep 15, 2003