Facebook problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, Feb 18, 2012.

  1. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Facebook keeps asking me to change my password.
    I've done that four times, but the "create a new password" page still comes
    up and I can't log in.
    (They ask for a screen shot, but surely they know what their own page looks
    like?)

    I've asked Facebook but just get a computerised answer which is no help.
    I've hunted around on Google but can't find anything.

    They also ask me to change my email password, but I don't email from
    Facebook and don't know what they mean.

    Otherwise, how do I get rid of Facebook if I can't log in?
    Perhaps I should get rid of it and start again.
    If I can't get rid of it, I'll just ignore it. Eventually they may think I
    have died and cancel it themselves.

    I've tried to open a new account but keep getting told I've already got one.

    Any ideas? (Nothing technical please!)

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Feb 18, 2012

  2. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Just asking - do you have the capslock button on?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 18, 2012

  3. Geopelia

    Ralph Fox Guest

    They know what their own page ought to look like. But on your computer,
    it seems, their page is not doing the usual thing.

    If they ask for a screenshot, send one. But have only Facebook open
    when you take the screenshot.

    Ralph Fox, Feb 18, 2012

  4. No one that knows use Face book, Very insecure

    Keep well away..

    Frank Williams, Feb 19, 2012
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I put it on for three letters in my password, but take it off again for
    others.
    I'll try again just pressing shift instead.
    That didn't work, I still keep getting the page asking me to change my
    password.
    I'll change it to one of all lower case.
    Didn't work. I got a page that says click reset password, but reset password
    is nowhere on the page! Brilliant!

    Geopelia, Feb 19, 2012
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Everyone in the family overseas uses it to keep in touch, but if I can find
    out how to get rid of it I could go back to just email.

    Thank you

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Feb 19, 2012
  7. Geopelia

    Donchano Guest

    Knows what, you silly old fool (and I'm 70)?

    Donchano, Feb 19, 2012
  8. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    OK, just checking as I said. There should be a light on the keyboard
    that is ON when you have CapsLock on and OFF when you have CapsLock off.
    We have had people complain that their passwords didn't work, and they
    have had either CapsLock on or ShiftLock on so they weren't typing what
    they thought that they were typing!

    What exactly does the page say?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 19, 2012
  9. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I keep getting these.
    https://www.facebook.com/recover.php?email_or_phone=
    https://www.facebook.com/checkpoint...ver.php?email_or_phone=phildoran%40xtra.co.nz

    Geopelia, Feb 19, 2012
  10. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    For some reason the second one takes me back to the login page. But I
    tried the process anyway.

    What I think is happening is that when you put in your Gmail email in
    the box, and click "Send codes and login to Gmail" it does just that -
    sends to your Gmail account which of course you can't access!

    Try the link that says "No longer have access to these?" You then get a
    page that says "How can we reach you?".

    If you have another email address put that in there and access the
    recovery information (probably a link) from there.

    If you don't, get a relative or trusted friend to let you use theirs to
    receive the recovery information.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 19, 2012
  11. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    Even old mechanical typewriters had a shift key, for the odd capital or two.
    My money in on Facebook having been hacked or it just has fallen over. It
    does happen.

    Stay calm and wait for it to fix itself.

    Gordon, Feb 19, 2012
  12. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    If there's one thing Woger has taught us - don't listen to him! LOL

    Dave Doe, Feb 19, 2012

  13. Yes and I beat you at 73..

    No one in his right mind would use such a insecure site.

    Frank Williams, Feb 19, 2012

  14. No listen to the NET DONT EVER USE FACEBOOK..

    Frank Williams, Feb 19, 2012
  15. Geopelia

    Donchano Guest

    There's no fool like an older fool?
    No one in his right mind would pay any attention to an insecure old
    fool who continually makes absurd statements in indefensibly poor
    English. It's like reading something written by the "text generation."
    Your lack of self-awareness is shocking.

    Donchano, Feb 19, 2012
  16. Geopelia

    Richard Guest

    The popularity of it says just the opposite of it, Its only a few grumpy
    fools who say not to use it.

    What you put onto it is another matter entirely, but to simply not use
    it because a few retards have overshared on it is absurd

    Richard, Feb 19, 2012
  17. Geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    [snip]
    I couldn't agree more Geo, I have the same thing going on. :-(

    Oh well, at least we're staying in touch, one way or another. :)
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Feb 19, 2012
  18. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Facebook has finally fixed the problem!

    I got an email from them addressed to me, asking me to change my password
    (for about the fifth time!) and containing something to click.

    They must have fixed whatever the problem was their end. I'm still none the
    wiser about that.

    Now it is working as well as before.

    Thanks to all

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Feb 19, 2012
  19. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I don't have Gmail as far as I know, it is just Outlook Express. I didn't
    get "Send codes and login to Gmail."
    Thank you.
    Facebook has now fixed the problem their end, and it's working again.

    I have no idea what was wrong or what they did though.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Feb 19, 2012
  20. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest