FA: Duel Region 1 DVD OOP 9 Hours left!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Clare Quilty, Oct 4, 2003.

  1. Clare Quilty

    Clare Quilty Guest

    Clare Quilty, Oct 4, 2003

  2. Clare Quilty

    Master Bird Guest

    Luck? Why would I want to be lucky and get a DVD that has problems with it. Why do you think it was
    recalled? It will be reissued next year.

    Doc Speedbyrd

    Master Bird, Oct 4, 2003

  3. Clare Quilty

    Clare Quilty Guest

    Well the information I have is a problem regarding licensing, but if you
    would like to back up what you say with some fact, then feel free.
    --
    N. B. To reply to me, remove a word in my email address after the at symbol,
    to leave the name of a popular MS-owned web mail service!

    Clare Quilty, Oct 4, 2003
  4. Clare Quilty

    Master Bird Guest

    If you had read the previous postings on this subject (not that I OWE you any backup!) It's said that the
    video and audio were not in synch with each other. I haven't seen the disc but some folks wrote about this
    here.

    Doc Speedbyrd

    Master Bird, Oct 4, 2003
  5. Clare Quilty

    ML-78 Guest

    Luck? Why would I want to be lucky and get a DVD that has problems with it.

    What problems does the "Duel" DVD have?

    ML-78

    ML-78, Oct 4, 2003
  6. Clare Quilty

    Master Bird Guest

    Some folks on here posted that the sound/video were not synched

    Doc Speedbyrd

    Master Bird, Oct 4, 2003
  7. Clare Quilty

    Jeffman Guest

    I have this DVD and it plays fine.

    Jeffman

    Jeffman, Oct 4, 2003
  8. Clare Quilty

    Carniv4 Guest

    any backup!) It's said that the
    disc but some folks wrote about this

    Yes, some people did post about a synch problem, but that has NOT been
    confirmed as the reason why the disc was pulled. It's definitely a
    possibility as are countless other reasons such as clip issues and whatnot.
    No one knows for sure outside of the Universal execs and probably Spielberg.

    There were no synch problems with my copy - it looks and plays great. An
    excellent disc. The few reviews of the disc I read at the time also made
    no mention of any synch problem. I do recall some people posting here and
    on another forum about the synch issue and maybe there is a player
    compatibility issue. But there have been many discs that act up with
    certain players, but most are not "recalled" because of this. All of this
    is conjecture, though. There is no official word from Universal why it's
    been yanked.

    Carniv4, Oct 4, 2003
  9. Clare Quilty

    Mike McGee Guest

    Not true. "Some folks" was one guy who posted something about the DTS
    not being in sync after he had it on pause for ages.

    Regardless, I have this disc, and it's fine. There are no audio/video
    sync issues at all. None.

    Here's a link to the full review:
    http://www.thedigitalreview.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=244

    I'm guessing that the recall has something to do with the standard 4:3
    video release, as opposed to a dual (no pun intended) 4:3 and 16:9
    release. The current disc has the European theatrical cut, yet it's in
    4:3. This sounds to me like the issue, but it's just a guess.

    Mike McGee, Oct 5, 2003
  10. Before you start contradicting what I said, perhaps you should KNOW why the disc was recalled. You say 'not
    true', but then you say "I'm guessing..." There was more than 'one guy 'who posted a message about the
    sound. So get your facts together before you run off at the yap!

    SpeadByrd PhD

    Speeaddbird Phdd, Oct 5, 2003
  11. Clare Quilty

    ML-78 Guest

    Before you start contradicting what I said, perhaps you should KNOW why the
    disc was recalled.

    And this doesn't apply to yourself?
    Take a look at your own first post in this thread.

    ML-78

    ML-78, Oct 5, 2003

  12. Hit the road

    SpeadByrd PhD

    Speeaddbird Phdd, Oct 5, 2003
  13. Clare Quilty

    Clare Quilty Guest

    If you had read the previous postings on this subject (not that I OWE you
    any backup!)

    When you essentially accuse someone of selling defective merchandise, then
    yes, you do owe that person 'backup'. It's called manners.

    Clare Quilty, Oct 6, 2003
  14. Clare Quilty

    SpeedyBird Guest

    Then you came to the wrong place.

    SpeedyByrd PhD

    SpeedyBird, Oct 6, 2003
  15. Fact: Five people in this thread (including myself) say that there are
    no audio or visual problems. No synch problems whatsoever.

    Fact: The three people who posted on the HTF about a synch problem were
    all based in England and all admitted (ultimately) that it could be
    their players. Furthermore, they were talking only about the DTS track.
    No one in the US has posted about a synch problem on DTS or DD tracks.
    Nor, to the best of my recollection, has anyone who'd actually seen the
    disc posted about a synch problem here in this ng. What they posted in
    this ng was that someone at the HTF had mentioned it. Again, the three
    people at the HTF have all admitted it was most likely a player issue in
    the UK.

    Fact: Duel was shot for television, in Academy ratio. It doesn't matter
    what cut of the film it is, the ratio is correct for the way Spielberg
    composed his film. That doesn't mean that it wasn't shown in 1:66 in
    Europe, but it does mean that it was shown here first on television in
    the format that the TV movie was made for.

    Fact: No one knows the reason for the recall.

    Fact: If you haven't seen the DVD anything you post is merely
    supposition and gleaned from what others have posted, whether factual or
    not. Within this thread are people who HAVE seen the disc, therefore
    I'm afraid that we have the edge, knowledge-wise.

    Brockhurst Pertwee, Oct 6, 2003
  16. Clare Quilty

    Clare Quilty Guest

    Thanks BP for posting this info, but there is really little to worry about
    from a pointless troll ;)

    SpeedyBird ... a PhD, no less. I am fascinated to know what it's in ... do
    please enlighten me ....

    Clare Quilty, Oct 6, 2003
  17. Clare Quilty

    SpeedyBird Guest

    Didn't I say, based on previous postings? Don't have a nosebleed over it.

    SpeedyByrd PhD

    SpeedyBird, Oct 7, 2003
  18. Clare Quilty

    SpeedyBird Guest

    I don't recall having summoned you, therefore no explanation of my education and qualifications is due you.
    Now be gone. The issue of Duel still is open for discussion with anyone but you.

    SpeedyByrd PhD

    SpeedyBird, Oct 7, 2003
  19. Clare Quilty

    Clare Quilty Guest

    Being the arrogant person which you clearly are, had you qualifications of
    any value you would be eager to brag about them. Yet you are not.

    How interesting.

    Clare Quilty, Oct 7, 2003
  20. Why would I need to brag about them? I know who I am and I don't care about you.
    That's the difference between us. I'm somebody and you're a bottom feeder. Now scat!

    SpeedyByrd PhD

    SpeedByrd PhD., Oct 7, 2003