Extremely Slow LAN transfers on WINXP Pro. Ed.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by RK, Jul 3, 2005.

  1. RK

    RK Guest

    I recently set a Wireless G LAN using a Netgear Cable Router and Netgear USB
    2.0 Adapter. I have a WIN98SE machine (w/ local printer) wired to the router
    and a XP Pro Machine connecting via USB Wireless Adapter. I have
    successfully connected to the internet from both machines and shared
    files/printers between both computers.

    However, the problem I have the WIN XP Pro machine initiated actions are
    much slower on the LAN. The internet bandwidth test from the WIN XP machine
    is about ½ the speed of the WIN98 Machine. Additionally files transfers
    initiated by the WIN98SE machine are more than 5X as fast the file transfer
    initiated by the XP Pro machine. Also when printing to the shared printer
    connected to WIN98SE machine the XP Pro machine temporary freezes and
    printer begins a VERY LONG spooling process before printing begins.

    I am using latest firmware for router and latest available driver for USB
    adapter. I have tried disabling firewall and antivirus monitoring software
    on both computers. (No effect)

    It is odd to me why a 4 MB file copied from the share folder on the XP Pro
    machine transfers almost instantaneously to the WIN98SE machine whereas vice
    versa it takes about a minute to transfer the same file from the WIN98SE
    machine share folder to the XP Pro machine.

    Any help with resolving the above issue would be greatly appreciated.

    RK, Jul 3, 2005

  2. Try:

    On The XP machine - Start/Run regedit ENTER

    Navigate to:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Remote
    Computer\NameSpace\

    Delete this key:

    {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCS, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Jul 4, 2005

  3. RK

    RK Guest

    Thanks I tried the below registy change. The first time I tried and
    internet bandwidth test the results screen was about twice as fast as
    previous fastest test result.

    However I have not seen any improvement in file transfers initiated by WINXP
    machine. Additionally today the internet bandwidth test returned very poor
    results with a strong wireless signal from router.

    RK, Jul 7, 2005