    Does anybody know where to get extremely long range (ie. over 80 km)
    GBICs or gigabit Ethernet media converters?

    - Zed

    Zed, Nov 1, 2003

  2. For that sort of distance you probably aught to be looking at DWDM.

    FR

    Buzz Lightbeer, Nov 1, 2003

  3. Zed

    chris Guest

    Aren't the ZX modules rated to 75km? They'll probably be fine a 80km
    over good quality single mode with minimal patches, splices, etc.
    I've got LX modules running 22km with no problem and 4db of headroom
    on laser power left (LX is rated at 10km).

    chris, Nov 2, 2003
  4. Zed

    Steinar Haug Guest

    []

    | Aren't the ZX modules rated to 75km? They'll probably be fine a 80km
    | over good quality single mode with minimal patches, splices, etc.
    | I've got LX modules running 22km with no problem and 4db of headroom
    | on laser power left (LX is rated at 10km).

    We've done 100 km with ZX on high quality fiber.

    Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,

    Steinar Haug, Nov 2, 2003
  5. Zed

    shope Guest

    For this kind of distance the range rating on the GBIC doesnt mean much, as
    the manufacturers make all sorts of assumptions about dispersion of the
    fibre, loss ratings and number of splices.

    I suggest you get the info on the actual runs and match that to high power
    GBICs.

    Note that it may make sense to use CWDM GBICs rather than just high power
    ones - that way you can add more wavelengths later (so long as you have the
    link budget to overcome the combiner losses)

    they used to be a similar cost to ZX flavour GBICs - around $5k each list
    from Cisco or Nortel (both seem to use OEM parts) - probably a lot less if
    you find the actual manufacturer.

    I used these for a mixed Cisco / Nortel dark fibre MAN - although the worst
    case run was more like 25 Km, we had lots of splice loss.....

    Finally - you will need attenuators if you do any bench testing or use these
    things on a short run.

    a google search on "high power laser gbic" returned more than 2k matches, so
    you shouldnt have much trouble finding a supplier.....

    shope, Nov 2, 2003
  6. Zed

    Andre Beck Guest

    LX actually is rated at 5km¹. It's just that vendors realized that if
    they manufacture them within some decent quality margins, they will
    go much further. Thus, LX/LH was born, and that's what is rated 10km.
    It's still LX, as the standard considers implementations that exceed
    the required minimum range of 2 to 5000m as compliant - but it's not
    the same. Maybe, however, that all of the LX manufactured today is
    in fact as good as LH or better.

    I've never had a problem with LX/LH going further than expected, however
    it wasn't 22km yet. That really sounds promising, but then again, with
    single mode it's just a matter of attenuation. Going significantly beyond
    500m with SX on multi mode is something completely different ;)

    ¹) At least as of 802.3-2000 Clause 38.4

    Andre Beck, Nov 2, 2003
  7. Zed

    Melon Guest

    Cisco makes an Ethernet Extender device, the end user equipment looks a
    lot like a car radar detector...I can't recall exactly what it's called
    right now.

    Melon, Nov 7, 2003