extreme summit 400 switch: connecting 2 switches via utp

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by tom, Apr 6, 2005.

  1. tom

    tom Guest

    Hi,

    I'm installing 2 extreme summit 400 switches (48 gigabit ports), and
    basicly, i want to connect them so they appear as one big switch.
    (later on, we will work on configuring vlan's and so). As we don't
    have fiber cables or the special stacking cable, i'm limited to
    connecting them the oldfashioned way via utp cabling.

    my question is: can I just connect port 1 on both switches via a
    standard utp 5e cable (or a ftp 5e cable) and assume it will work ?
    are there any major drawbacks in doing it this way ?

    I haven't modified the default configuration much, the default vlan's
    have not been modified, i have only added an ip address to the mgmt
    vlan.

    thanks for your help !

    Tom.

    tom, Apr 6, 2005