    Anybody done a comparison between Extreme III CF cards and the new
    Extreme IV cards in a Canon 5D?

    JJ

    jj, Apr 13, 2007

  2. jj

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Apr 13, 2007

  3. jj

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Alfred Molon, Apr 13, 2007
  4. jj

    Guest Guest

    don't forget the transfer times to a computer - the sandisk iv is
    significantly faster than anything else.

    <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/no_nav.asp?cid=6007-8471>

    Guest, Apr 13, 2007
  5. jj

    Skip Guest

    Actually, Alf, it isn't just the 5D. Canons in general aren't set up to
    take advantage of high speed cards. The Nikons, for example, pull about 2
    mb/sec more out of the same cards.

    Skip, Apr 13, 2007
  6. jj

    tomm42 Guest

    tomm42, Apr 13, 2007
  7. jj

    Guest Guest

    Not a huge difference here on a Lexar Pro card reader the Extreme IV
    was 16.2 mmb/sec the Extreme III 16.1 mb/sec. This vs 11.5 for a
    SanDisk "standard" 10.9 for a SanDisk Extreme (no #) and 16.3 for a
    Ridata 150 (all 2gb cards).[/QUOTE]

    on a firewire 800 reader, it reaches 38 mb/sec (lower right corner of
    the chart). that's quite a bit faster.

    Guest, Apr 13, 2007
  8. jj

    tomm42 Guest

    Yeah an little over twice the speed, with a Lacie reader a 2gb Extreme
    III takes about 2min to empty, would 1 min be better, sure but I won't
    loose sleep over it. Just pulled a mid-high range reader off the list.

    Tom

    tomm42, Apr 13, 2007
  9. jj

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Oly DSLRs write at 10MB/s with fast cards.

    Alfred Molon, Apr 13, 2007
  10. jj

    Skip Guest

    Thank you Alf. That doesn't change what I said, now, does it?
    You're becoming more of an Oly fanboy than any Canon aficionado you've ever
    castigated.

    Skip, Apr 14, 2007
  11. jj

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Ehmmm... what I wrote is true, it's a simple fact.

    But feel free to call me an Oly "fanboy", if you like. I might well be
    one, given that I have been using Olympus digital cameras since 1997,
    although I've now been using a Sony R1 for a year.

    By the way, I briefly evaluated the 5D last year, then decided not to
    buy it, because I could not imagine carrying such a heavy stone with me.
    A camera has to be a portable item, not a big heavy thing. The R1 is no
    lightweight either, but way less bulky and heavy than the 5D.

    In any case, at least Oly "fanboys" don't jump into Canon threads and
    start recommending Olympus cameras, as Canon "aficionados" do.

    Alfred Molon, Apr 14, 2007
  12. jj

    Skip Guest

    Well, I guess some of us let our wimpiness overcome our desire for good
    image quality. I use the 5D on a regular basis to shoot weddings and
    environmental portraits, so I guess it's pretty portable.

    Geez, Alf, let it go. The guy asked for recommendations, not strictly
    limited to info about oly.
    And that's pretty much what you just did, since the OP wanted a comparison
    between cards in a Canon 5D, and you just _had_ to jump in with the info
    that Olys get much higher speeds. Not what he asked, now, was it?
    The thing that is most annoying about you is your sanctimonious attitude.

    Skip, Apr 14, 2007
  13. jj

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Ehmm, where did I write "Canon sucks, buy an Olympus", as Canon users
    frequently do in Olympus threads ?

    We were talking about card write speeds and I just mentioned that Oly
    DSLRs write at 10MB/s (also Nikon DSLRs write at the speed BTW, so it's
    funny that the 5D is limited to 6.5MB/s).

    And I did not call you "fanboy". But you did.

    Alfred Molon, Apr 14, 2007
  14. jj

    Alan LeHun Guest

    Show me. I bet you can't find a single instance of a canon fanboy saying
    "Canon sucks, buy an Olympus". :)

    Alan LeHun, Apr 14, 2007
  15. jj

    ASAAR Guest

    FWIW, it's often useful to check tested DSLR write speeds. I'm
    glad that I was aware that long before purchasing my new/old D50
    that I was aware that the D80 writes almost twice as fast. But then
    the D50 is probably (haven't checked recently) *much* faster than an
    Olympus C-8080 that I've used a few times. :)

    ASAAR, Apr 15, 2007
  16. jj

    ASAAR Guest

    <g> Well, one must admit that if a single instance was found, the
    "canon fanboy" merit badge would have to be revoked, folded,
    spindled and mutilated. :)

    ASAAR, Apr 15, 2007