extracting win.com????

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ralph D., Oct 30, 2003.

  1. Ralph D.

    Ralph D. Guest

    On a Win98SE machine, I'm getting the 'cannot find win.com' message on boot.

    I do not think it's a virus as I've taken extreme measures to that end and
    it immediately followed an old familiar freeze that was hardware induced.

    The Win.com file just is not in the directory, so...

    I put the 98SE CD in the drawer, put a 98 bootdisk in and, where R:\ is my
    CD drive I typed, from the A:\ prompt:

    extract r:\Win98_25.cab win.cnf /l C:\WINDOWS

    It says error extracting win.cnf

    It's been a lonnnnnnnnnng time since I did this and I just don't know what
    I'm missing (was never that good with that stuff back when). Anybody have
    any good methods on replacing win.com or see what I'm doing wrong with my
    Flintstones approach?

    TAU

    Ralph D., Oct 30, 2003

  2. Ralph D.

    Ralph D. Guest

    Oh... by the way... if I try a scanreg restore, it says there are no backups
    to restore for some reason.

    Ralph D., Oct 30, 2003