    West Denver area chess?

    Please join us for informal Sunday chess in Lakewood. Join the
    Yahoo group:

    Lakewood Chess, May 2, 2006

  2. Lakewood Chess

    Tony Guest

    Like these?
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_slc.asp?CatId=471

    Tony, May 2, 2006

  3. Lakewood Chess, May 2, 2006
  4. Lakewood Chess

    Trax Guest

    |>> Like these?
    |>> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_slc.a
    |>> sp?CatId=471

    |>I'm confused. You can't just do it with cables, right? Wouldn't
    |>it require a bi-directional interface of some kind, and a power
    |>supply for it?

    The link shows USB to IEEE-1284 Printer Cable, USB supplies 5 volts -
    just plug in the cables and plug and play/pray does the rest..

    Trax, May 2, 2006

  5. We have a parallel printer with a 25 pin db connector on it, that
    needs to go to the usb port. It looks like the top one there
    would work, assuming it has the bi-directional conversion
    electronics in it.

    Lakewood Chess, May 2, 2006
  6. Lakewood Chess

    Trax Guest

    |>> The link shows USB to IEEE-1284 Printer Cable, USB supplies 5
    |>> volts - just plug in the cables and plug and play/pray does
    |>> the rest..

    |>We have a parallel printer with a 25 pin db connector on it, that
    |>needs to go to the usb port. It looks like the top one there
    |>would work, assuming it has the bi-directional conversion
    |>electronics in it.

    That's a function of the bios and printer, make sure your bios printer
    setting is set to ECP or EPP.

    Trax, May 3, 2006
  7. Lakewood Chess

    pcbutts1 Guest

    The USB Printer Adapter supports bi-directional communication on printers
    whose driver is written using the normal Windows API. This is the reason
    many bi-directional printers function fully with the product. For printers
    whose drivers directly manipulate the parallel port, as opposed to using
    Windows' printing API, it is impossible to "re-direct" these commands to the
    USB port. This is the same reason Zip Drives and Scanners are not supported.

    pcbutts1, May 3, 2006
  8. I wish I understood what you just said. :)

    Say someone has a Laserjet 1100 and it has a 25 pin parallel
    plug, and they use Windows XP and want to use it with a USB port.
    Will those adapter cables work?

    --
    - Popcorn Lover
    If you love popcorn too, there are no popcorn groups on usenet

    Popcorn Lover, May 3, 2006
  9. Lakewood Chess

    Barry OGrady Guest

    No. That's not possible. USB to parallel is possible.
    In that case you want a USB to parallel.
    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og