    does one connection suffer more problems than the other?

    I am running XP Pro and have version 1.0 USB ports only.
    Thanks for any advice.

    notme, Jan 29, 2005

  2. notme

    Murray Symon Guest

    USB modems are dependent on software drivers and may use some of
    your CPU's processing time (more of an issue with slower PCs).

    Serial modems require nothing more than a good COM port (that
    can be set to a high enough baud rate, eg. 115,200 baud).

    IMHO only get a USB one if you have no serial COM ports available.

    Murray Symon.

    Murray Symon, Jan 30, 2005

  3. notme

    XPD Guest

    Go serial.
    USB seems to fall over all the time with modme devices....

    XPD, Jan 30, 2005
  4. notme

    Tim Guest

    Serial. Without a doubt.

    Tim, Jan 30, 2005
  5. notme

    notme Guest

    Thanks everyone for your unanimous advice. Serial it is.

    notme, Jan 30, 2005
  6. notme

    Brendan Guest

    USB. Easier to install, and more common. Serial is becoming a thing of the
    past and many computers are starting to appear with zero serial ports.

    --

    .... Brendan

    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 30/01/2005 11:19:14 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jan 30, 2005
  7. notme

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Seriously, I'd go ethernet if at all practical. And use Freesco on an
    old PC as a firewall.

    But I'd use a serial external modem on that box :) or PCI or ISA.

    -=rjh=-, Jan 30, 2005
  8. notme

    Fishb8 Guest

    Hi Notme
    Since I went ADSL, I've got a Dynalink 1456VQE serial modem unused. Works
    MUCH better than a USB or PCI modem.
    Contact me if you want to buy.

    Fishb8, Jan 30, 2005
  9. notme

    Guest Guest

    I use an external serial modem attached to an old computer that I've set
    up as my network firewall, with ethernet to my other computers.

    It has been utterly reliable since I set it up, and the only time I've
    needed to reboot it were when I've installed updates which require a
    reboot.

    Divine

    Guest, Jan 31, 2005
  10. notme

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    But, wait, you're using Linux........ which NEVER needs updates..... let
    alone NEVER needs rebooting?

    Do you actually enjoy publically contradicting yourself - on a daily basis?

    Ryan Jacobs, Jan 31, 2005
  11. notme

    Thor Guest

    What sort of crap are you talking, the speed of the updates are why linux is
    streets ahead of microsoft as far as security goes. Linux also sometimes
    needs a reboot, like when you intall a new kernel, not everytime you
    install the slightest new update or program or more likely everytime you
    get a new worm.

    Thor, Jan 31, 2005
  12. notme

    Guest Guest

    Said who?

    Linux is very rapidly being developed, maintained, and improved. One of
    the beauties of Linux is the transparent development process which sees
    fixes being released - sometimes within hours of the bug being notified.

    Divine

    Guest, Jan 31, 2005
  13. notme

    EMB Guest

    Seconded. My freesco box ran faultlessly for 18 months before I went to
    ADSL, and AFAIK is still running in it's new home another year later.

    EMB, Jan 31, 2005
  14. notme

    AD. Guest

    The funniest bit was that Lennier's post didn't even mention Linux!

    I think Ryan needs to have a lie down and a cup of tea :)

    Oh yeah - serial modem all the way!

    AD., Jan 31, 2005
  15. notme

    AD. Guest

    OK this is painful to admit, but I don't think I've ever heard him claim
    that.

    AD., Jan 31, 2005
  16. notme

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Wow! We totally disagree. I wouldn't dream of using OE for email and haven't
    for over five years (If ever actually). However I find it quite acceptable
    as a newsreader. I have tried several alternatives but keep going back to
    OE.

    Such is life.....

    ~misfit~, Jan 31, 2005
  17. Suggest you try a good news reader then. You will never go back :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 1, 2005
  18. notme

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Ahhh, I'm happy enough with OE. Old dog/new tricks and all that. I tried
    (Free) Agent for a week and another oft-mentioned one whose name eludes me
    presently for a similar time and wasn't happy.

    If and when OE doesn't do what I want or compromises my security badly I'll
    change. I have it set to plain text and AVG7 and it seems fine.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Feb 1, 2005
  19. um ... the dog must be really old :)
    Haven't tried that. News xpress does it fine for me.
    Horses for courses I suppose ... I just can't imagine anyone actually liking
    either OE or google groups for news :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 1, 2005
  20. notme

    Guest Guest

    OE is hideous. The only thing it's actually very good at is as a medium
    for rapid distribution of viruses.

    The best NG reader I've used on the Windows platform was Xnews, alas not
    available natively on Linux.

    Divine

    Guest, Feb 1, 2005