    anyone had any experience with it? Or alternatively could anyone a quality
    enclosure for a reasonable price?
    Thanks for any assistance.

    david, Jul 22, 2007

  2. david

    Dave Doe Guest

    Firstly, 3.5" drives. These are standard HDD's - and not well designed
    for banging about (I guess no drive is). 2.5" notebook drives though,
    are designed for more rugged use and I'd suggest you use those. You
    still wanna treat the drive carefully, but in my experience I think
    you'll find it more suitable for the job. (I've had one USB drive (yes
    a 3.5" drive) go bad from a client, and I've also been recommended to
    stear clear of 3.5" enclosures for the same reason by a dealer).

    Dave Doe, Jul 22, 2007

  3. david

    david Guest

    I understand your concerns, but a 2.5" drive doesn't provide the amount of
    storage I need. My laptop actually has a spare 2.5" drive bay, but as I plan
    on using the external drive simply for backup and media storage, it would
    spend all its time sitting on or under my desk, and not be treated any more
    roughly than the average desktop PC.

    Thanks,
    Dave.

    david, Jul 22, 2007
  4. david

    big cat Guest

    Far cheaper to get a made up Seagate Free Agent one, and its 5 year
    warrantee.

    big cat, Jul 22, 2007
  5. david

    JohnO Guest

    Changed your nym again, Woger?

    JohnO, Jul 23, 2007
  6. Looks like it. Little Pussy. Meow.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jul 23, 2007
  7. david

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hasn't he used that one before in some form?

    Anyway, thanks for the heads-up. Ironic (moronic?) that he was protesting
    the validity of "the list" not so long ago huh?

    <Plonk big cat>

    ~misfit~, Jul 23, 2007
  8. david

    Gordon Guest

    Does this one have an external power supply? It is needed.

    The other point is cooling of the HDD. Some are better than others.

    In short I would say that one double this price ie $56 plus GST would be
    a better buy.

    One without a fan is also a good idea as there is one less whine about.

    Gordon, Jul 23, 2007