External hard drive runs continuously and hot

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Art Prest, Jun 13, 2006.

  1. Art Prest

    Art Prest Guest

    I have a Maxtor USB external hard drive connected to a Dell notebook PC that
    uses Windows XP. When the notebook PC is turned on the Maxtor USB drive runs
    continuously and gets very hot. The light on the hard drive is on all the
    time until I turn the notebook PC off and then the light blinks slowly and
    the drive cools down. It seem that the PC is accessing the external drive
    continuously.

    Next to the docked Dell notebook I have a PC running Windows 2000 that is
    also connected to an identical Maxtor USB external hard drive and that drive
    runs cool unless I am backing something up to it or accessing large amounts
    of information from it. When the PC is idle for a awhile the light on the
    external hard drive blinks slowly.

    I also have another docked Dell notebook PC running Windows XP connected to
    an external Western Digital USB had drive and it does not run hot and does
    not run continuously.

    I believe that my problem must be software related. Any ideas??

    Art Prest, Jun 13, 2006

  2. Art Prest

    JTJersey Guest

    Check at Maxtors web site under Support. Sounds like there may be issues
    with the hardware within the drive housing. If it's still under warranty
    I'd ask for a replacement.

    JTJersey, Jun 14, 2006