External Hard Drive problems after fresh install

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Ernest, Nov 21, 2007.

  1. Ernest

    Ernest Guest

    Hey Everyone,
    So I know I pulled a bonehead move, but here's what happened. I
    reinstalled XP x64 last night because I went from an old small SATA I hdd to
    a new large SATA II hdd. I have an external 500GB hdd (generic enclosure +
    seagate hdd) that I used as a backup drive. Every night, Cobian Backup would
    push differential backups to the external hdd. When I put in the new hdd and
    did the fresh install, I forgot to unplug the external hdd, and although I
    did not touch the partitioning on the external (only the new internal drive),
    the install seems to have somehow corrupted my external drive. I am getting
    a slew of event ID 51, 31 and 11 (basically saying that the file system on
    the external hdd is trashed.) So I tried several times to chkdsk it and
    every time it got a little farther and finally just froze at stage 5. I got
    some error along the lines of not enough room to fix it. Now only half of
    that hdd is used (and I know that for a fact.) So my question to the
    community is: What should be my next step to recover the data on that drive?
    Device manager sees the disk as available and healthy. I can open and
    browse the directories. When I try to copy files to my main hdd I get an
    error that windows cannot read the source. I'm hoping that there is a way
    that I can fix the file system and recover my data. Both the internal and
    external hdds are NTFS formatted.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks!

    Ernest, Nov 21, 2007

  2. How critical is your data? There are third parties that will recover data
    off of drives in far worse shape than yours.

    I'd start by imaging what you have before you do anything else. Once you
    have an image, you can try to recover/repair because you always have a
    fallback position. But trying to repair something that is your only copy of
    essential information is a very bad idea until you get it copied.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 21, 2007

  3. Make sure that your driveletters didn't change during that install, and that
    the backup isn't trying to recover from the wrong partition!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 21, 2007
  4. Ernest

    Ernest Guest

    The data is not 'critical' per se, and I typically burn the 'critical' data
    to dvd rom every 3 months, so it's not like its the end of the world. I can
    go and re-download most of the data, but it will take a long time. More than
    a nuisance than anything. I'm glad that I offsite data every three months to
    Texas from California. I was just hoping to avoid the hassle of
    redownloading all the stuff I had...4GB of 250GB is critical, and that is on
    DVD already. the other 246GB is not critical but definitely used regularly.

    Ernest, Nov 21, 2007