External hard drive - airport x-ray machines

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by texan....usenet, May 1, 2007.

  1. Ok next question.
    I was looking at using memory stix to transfer files to before the
    computer goes in the housepack BUT the number I need and the cost had
    me looking at external hdd's instead. Overall, seems a less expensive
    method of being able to carry valuable files with me.

    I have 2 hdd on one machineand need to transfer between 40 and 60 gb
    in total from the two drives and an unknown amount on another machine.

    Now, the problem is I most likely will go through a total of 3 airport
    security checkpoints in the US [and 4 if AKL domestic has one as
    well].

    Will the contents be 'wiped' or not?
    Any precautions I should take - packaging to carry/turbulence; x-rays
    etc?

    This hdd will be in my briefcase [my carryons get gate checked for
    puddle jumper flights].

    Once the housepack/computers arrive in NZ safely, I won't need the hdd
    - just have too many valuable files i.e. medical, family history,
    work etc I don't want to loose should the container go overboard
    or the ship sinks!

    TIA,

    Cath

    texan....usenet, May 1, 2007

  2. No they won't get wiped. Just make sure they won't move around in your
    bag and you will be fine.

    Jason Fanning, May 1, 2007

  3. texan....usenet

    EMB Guest

    My laptop has survived more airport x-rays than I care to think about so
    you should be fine.

    EMB, May 1, 2007
  4. texan....usenet

    Jerry Guest

    X-rays have no effect on magnetic media. It will be safe unless you drop
    it or it has some other accident.

    Jerry, May 1, 2007
  5. texan....usenet

    Gordon Guest

    Why not keep backing up to the external HD?

    Gordon, May 2, 2007
  6. Actually never thought of that.
    With this machine now having had 4 replacement hdd's I should have!
    No excuse.

    The last hdd replacement took place just after it came out of
    warranty, the first thing I did was ensure it was not the same brand
    that Dell kept installing [WD]. If they can have a lemon law for
    cars, then there should be one for other bits and pieces!

    Shhh I still use floppies....

    Most of the files I have hard copies of however I want moveable copies
    'just in case'.

    Thanks to everyone for their help.

    Cath

    texan....usenet, May 2, 2007
  7. Next time, don't buy a name-brand PC, put together a white-box machine
    instead. You get more flexibility that way.
    Get a CD/DVD writer and start backing up to optical. Your backups should
    last longer that way. Most of my vital personal documents fit comfortably
    on just a handful of CDs.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 20, 2007
  8. Already have. This is a personal preference. For day to day stuff
    it is much easier and quicker to deal with than writing to cd/dvd's .
    I backup to cd's when required but have copies of all 'vital
    documents' i.e. birth certs, legal etc etc on cd.

    texan....usenet, May 20, 2007
  9. I used to use Zip disks for that purpose--floppies were just too much
    trouble.

    Nowadays I just make sure there's a second copy of my current stuff on one
    of my older machines. Two hard drives in two physically separate machines
    are a lot more reliable than one.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 20, 2007