    died. Now I can't get my data from that SATA drive. MORE CHINESE JUNK.

    Anyone have suggestions?

    TIA

    JD, Sep 7, 2012

  2. JD

    Paul Guest

    Price around for a replacement motherboard, same model number ?

    That might be a place to start.

    *******

    On the SATA box, the most likely explanation is a bad power supply.
    Followed by a bad disk. But a bad disk, you'd expect warning
    symptoms first. While the power could die in an instant.

    On the SATA box, you check customer reviews for the product, and
    see what failure modes were popular on it. Maybe those enclosures
    just aren't very reliable.

    If you carefully remove the drive from the enclosure, you can
    test it on some SATA equipped computer (as an internal drive).

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 7, 2012

  3. JD

    John McGaw Guest

    Well, you could stop buying anything from China. While you are at it you
    could boycott items with Chinese parts and Chinese materials. Hey, if you
    are doing that you might as well include Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, Korea,
    the Philippines and all of those other untrustworthy Asians -- they all
    look the same to most westerners and you might confuse them with Chinese.
    Better include Japan too; they are notorious for for something or other
    although I forget what at the moment. BUY NOTHING BUT GOOD HONEST
    AMERICAN-MADE COMPUTERS WITH All-AMERICAN COMPONENTS! ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES!

    John McGaw, Sep 7, 2012
  4. JD

    JD Guest

    Not in this case - a 750W Corsair.
    The hard drive always started up after the I clicked the on button,
    but I could not see anything on the drive.
    You are right on:

    http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&gs_n..._pw.r_qf.&fp=5b00dd9cdcea452b&biw=964&bih=684
    Will try that with the ASUS.
    Hello again Paul,

    You really are a pal :) I am fed up with the Advent and won't wait
    any longer.

    Many months ago I bought a 750W Corsair power supply, with a 5 year
    warranty, and an ASUS motherboard 9.5" x 12". It is ASUS M4A 88TD-V
    EVO/USB3. You were in on that when I first stated on that motherboard.
    I'll have another try at getting this going and I am sure I will have
    more than a few woes :)

    Will keep you advised and have a great weekend.

    JD, Sep 7, 2012
  5. JD

    JD Guest

    That is a very good thought. Will bear it in mind. Taiwan is a very good
    choice. No more China for me.

    JD, Sep 7, 2012
  6. JD

    SteveH Guest

    JD laid this down on his screen :
    Yeah, get rid of all your computer kit and get an abacus, as you're
    plainly too stupid to own a PC.

    SteveH, Sep 7, 2012
  7. JD

    philo Guest

    Just about everything is made in China

    and if it isn't it still has Chinese parts in them.

    The quality is generally just fine.

    philo, Sep 7, 2012
  8. JD

    H.W. Guest

    I only buy computers with Mercedes, Audi and BMW components.
    Simply the best. ;-)

    H.W.

    H.W., Sep 7, 2012
  9. JD

    JD Guest

    I'm glad to hear that YOU are learning your A B C..... and 1 2 3...

    JD, Sep 8, 2012
  10. JD

    JD Guest

    How many External Hard Dives have you bought and found to be crap?

    JD, Sep 8, 2012