    reconnect it, it *is* recognised.

    Any ideas why this might be happening and how I can fix it?

    TIA

    Hungerdunger, Mar 12, 2007

  2. Hungerdunger

    Sonic Guest

    Windows? Mac?
    USB? Firewire?

    "disconnect the power to the drive" infers that with the unknown computer
    booted, and the external drive still connected (USB? FW?) you power down
    or even remove the power cable? Are you 100% certain the external drive
    is hot-plugable? Not a good idea to do that if it's not.....

    Sonic, Mar 12, 2007

  3. Hungerdunger

    Hungerdunger Guest

    Apologies - I'm running Windows XP SP2 and the external drive is connected
    via USB.

    I presumed that if it wasn't recognised that it wouldn't do any harm to
    power it down and up again. But I may well be wrong!

    Hungerdunger, Mar 13, 2007