    sata drives in them, which is annoying to pay that much for since they
    dont need any active electronics in them to convert the signal, so
    paying such a large premium over a usb2 to ide seems stupid.

    richms, Nov 6, 2007

  2. richms

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Do you want a cheap source of esata to Usb cases?
    What do you want?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#External_SATA
    Here, go look:
    http://www.pricespy.co.nz/search.php?q=esata
    ..
    Oh, none advertised. Maybe some phone calls might be needed.

    Dave Taylor, Nov 6, 2007

  3. richms

    thingy Guest

    Do you really need a cheap case? ie my experience has been that getting
    such a combo is flaky....things like dodgy USB, over heating HD, cheap
    fans becoming noisy and failing, PSU melting and dying.......

    So I'd advise getting a ready made pack with e-sata and USB rolled into
    one....

    Something like this,

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4730cbd800fe091a2740c0a87f33067f/Product/View/XH1288

    $219 for 320gig....yet a 320gig drive is $160....so the case is costing
    you $60....I'm sure you can get it cheaper than DSE as well...

    I have some of the earlier Seagate ext's and they have been great, after
    bad experiences and I'd never go back to buying a "cheap" case....

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Nov 6, 2007
  4. richms

    Cima Guest

    Yep. I got a cheap-ish one and it's nuked the filesystem twice. I suspect it's a
    dodgy power connecter, as it's not very secure. Once I could sort of deal with,
    but twice - no way. Bit the bullet and bought a Seagate FreeAgent. Now I have a
    250GB HD to use elsewhere :)

    Cima, Nov 6, 2007
  5. richms

    Richard Guest

    USB not essential, but it needs to take an ide drive and give me an
    esata port on it. if it does usb as well, thats great, but not really a
    big deal since a usb to esata cable is so cheap.

    It seems that all the esata cases will only take a sata drive, I have a
    pile of mid sized ide drives that have being pulled from workstations
    that were being disposed of, and would like to use them.

    Richard, Nov 7, 2007
  6. richms

    impossible Guest

    Good cases -- i.e, solid, reliable interface, quiet fan (and don't even
    think about doing without a fan) -- are not cheap. I'd recommend the AMS
    Venus line (available from Ascent, for one), but unless you can find a way
    to source them from one of the big US distributors, they'll cost you
    plenty. If you can see yourself swapping drives in and out of a single case
    (or two), this might be more workable -- AMS Venus enclosures make swapping
    pretty easy.

    impossible, Nov 7, 2007
  7. Depending on what kind of Integrated Drive Electronics--if the drive is
    SATA, I'm sure the connection should be quite straightforward. Other kinds
    of IDE would be less so.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 7, 2007