    blog -> http://perceptionistruth.com/
    books -> http://www.bookthing.co.uk/
    [ anything below this line wasn't written by me ]

    Tony, Apr 18, 2010

  2. Tony

    andrew Guest

    If you don't mind wired connections upstairs and can run a wire from the
    spare port of the netgear why not use another cheap router?

    Turn DHCP off in the second router, give it a fixed address on the same
    range as the netgear but outside the range assigned by the netgear via dhcp
    and put the netgear as the gateway for the second router.

    AJH

    andrew, Apr 18, 2010

  3. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Can't easily run wires from the DG834G to upstairs, that's my main issue
    hence hoping for a wireless option.
    --
    Tony Evans
    Saving trees and wasting electrons since 1993

    Tony, Apr 18, 2010
  4. If laptops work fine upstairs with your existing setup it might be
    cheaper to purchase wireless adapter for the box you want to move. You
    can get internal wireless cards or go the Wireless to USB route. Both
    methods should be cheaper than purchasing another router or wireless
    repeater.

    Personally I prefer the internal wireless card method to USB as
    historically they have had less problems working properly but either may
    work for you.

    Have a friend bring their laptop over and give the upstairs a good walk
    through and see how the existing setup works. If you have problems it
    may take a minor relocation of the existing router (placing it higher or
    just on the other side of a room) or a better antenna (if it has an
    external antenna connector) to make things work.

    GlowingBlueMist, Apr 18, 2010
  5. Tony

    Rob Morley Guest

    Why would he do that when he could just plug the cable straight into
    the device he wants to use upstairs?
    I imagine the reason he's asking about a wireless bridge is that he
    can't/won't run a cable.

    Rob Morley, Apr 19, 2010
  6. Tony

    Rob Morley Guest

    You don't seem to understand the difference between a wireless bridge
    and a repeater, so possibly better that you don't try to advise on this
    sort of thing.
    Except he said the the device only has a wired Ethernet connection -
    why are you assuming that it has USB or internal expansion capability?

    Rob Morley, Apr 19, 2010
  7. I believe the WG602 will work fine as a bridge to another WG602 or a WG302
    in point to point mode, which would imply getting two of them and then
    adopting a different SSID for the bridge from that used by the DG834G's AP.

    I have no experience to trying to bridge to a DG834G that is working in AP
    mode. Someone else here may know whether that is possible.

    Maybe call Netgear 01344 458200.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Apr 19, 2010
  8. Tony

    Mortimer Guest

    If "upstairs" has a wired connection (I assume you mean that there is an
    Ethernet lead running from the router downstairs to a room upstairs) then
    you don't need to bridge or repeat the wireless network. A wireless access
    point will work: plug it into the upstairs Ethernet connection and configure
    it with a different SSID (network name) and wireless channel to the access
    point in the router downstairs. If you need additional Ethernet points
    upstairs then you'll need a hub or a switch. As someone else has suggested,
    maybe a second wireless router (with the ADSL connection unused) would be
    the best solution.

    But it is essential that you turn off the router's DHCP server and that you
    hard-code its IP address to one which is in the same subnet as the
    downstairs router's but which is not in the range that the router hands out
    by DHCP.

    For example, if the downstairs router uses addresses in the subnet
    192.168.0.x, with 192.168.0.1 being the downstairs router's IP address:

    - change the downstairs router's DHCP scope so it hands out addresses in the
    range 192.168.0.3 - 192.168.0.255 (it will probably be set at present to
    start at 192.168.0.2)
    - give the upstairs router the IP address 192.168.0.2
    - turn off the upstairs router's DHCP server

    If you opt for a simple access point, the same IP address configuration and
    turning off of DHCP server will be needed.

    Mortimer, Apr 19, 2010
  9. Tony

    Rob Morley Guest

    And this will help his wired-only device how, exactly? If he had an
    Ethernet cable upstairs he could just plug it in.
    Only if that router will run as a client in bridging mode.

    Rob Morley, Apr 19, 2010
  10. Tony

    Mortimer Guest

    Ah, maybe I've misunderstood his phrase "putting a device upstairs, which
    only has a wired connection". I assumed it was "upstairs" that had only a
    wired connection (and no wireless reception from downstairs) but may be
    meant that the *device* only has a LAN car and no wireless card, and that
    there isn't an Ethernet cable to upstairs.

    Right, yes, I agree he needs a wireless bridge - or else (if I may utter the
    words without radio hams shooting me down in flames!) Ethernet-over-mains
    Homeplug devices.

    Now can a Netgear DG834G router work in bridging mode? Not sure about
    that...

    Mortimer, Apr 19, 2010
  11. Tony

    Tony Guest

    The device I want to put upstairs only supports a wired connection.

    There's no where to plug it in up there, so I wanted to buy a wireless
    bridge and attach it to that.
    I did wonder about those, but I'd like to use that as a last resort for a
    couple of reasons.
    Me either, hence my query :)

    Tony, Apr 19, 2010