    reasons not to go for the 2X rather than the 1.4X?

    Thanks,

    Gordon

    Gordon MacPherson, Mar 2, 2007

  2. Gordon MacPherson

    Skip Guest

    Which 70-200 L IS? There's an f2.8 and an f4 version. If you use the 2x on
    the f4 version, AF may be affected. Which extender were you looking at,
    Kenko, Canon, or a different one?

    Skip, Mar 2, 2007

  3. Gordon MacPherson

    JohnR66 Guest

    With the 2x, you will take a hit with sharpness and contrast. On the f/4
    version of the lens you may lose AF (will lose AF with the Canon version).
    The 1.4x is a much better option. If you find yourself needing the reach of
    your lens plus 2x often, then it is time for a longer lens.

    Another cheap option is the Promaster 1.7x I still get AF with my 70-200 f/4
    non IS. Sharpness is better than I expected from the $100 converter, but due
    to field curvature, the corners are softer.
    John

    JohnR66, Mar 2, 2007
  4. Not necessarily. if you add a 2x to a 70-200mm f/2.8 to get to 400mm you
    still have the shorter faster lens as well. Put together I still find this
    combo something I can easily walk around with. That is not the case with my
    200-400mm f/4. All depends what one needs to do with it.

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Mar 2, 2007