    Daredevil
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Lord of the Rings trilogy

    Rico movie, Jul 16, 2006

  2. Rico movie

    Rtavi Guest

    Scorpion King didn't much care for the movie but when you put back the cut
    scenes it makes a lot more sense
    agree Daredevil and Lord of the Rings

    Rtavi, Jul 16, 2006

  3. My all time favorite in this area is "The Abyss" which admittedly came
    out as an extended laserdisc first, but has since been released on DVD.
    Far superior to the theatrical version.

    -beaumon

    lorincantrell, Jul 16, 2006
  4. Rico movie

    kaydigi Guest

    Not as drastic but Aliens.

    kaydigi, Jul 16, 2006
  5. Rico movie

    AZ Nomad Guest

    The extended 'T2 judgement day" is definately better than the theatrical.

    Some extended movies worse than the original are the first Star Trek
    movie, and the blues brothers.

    AZ Nomad, Jul 16, 2006
  6. Rico movie

    jayembee Guest

    I disagree in both cases.

    I do like the extended T2 more than the original, but only marginally.
    Only one of the added scenes really adds to the story: Sarah doing
    the repair job on Arnie is a nice mirror to his helping stitch her
    up elsewhere in the film.

    And I thought the longer version of ST:TMP was far, *far* better
    than the original theatrical version. It really fleshed out Spock's
    character vis a vis his epiphany that the pursuit of perfect logic
    was a hollow one, and that emotions were something that enhanced
    logic, not opposed it. At least one of the added scenes also
    encapsulated Kirk's character in a single line.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jul 16, 2006
  7. Rico movie

    AZ Nomad Guest

    The scene where arnie tries to smile was hilarious; the total added scenes
    add up to under ten minutes.

    It made a long winded dull movie even more long winded and dull.
    The movie would have best been a 40 minute episode.

    AZ Nomad, Jul 16, 2006
  8. Alien3 - radically different. Love it or hate it (and I'm most
    definitely in the former camp) it's worth watching the longer version
    to see what Fincher had in mind before the studio trampled all over
    it.

    Steve

    The Doctor Who Restoration Team Website
    http://www.restoration-team.co.uk

    Steve Roberts, Jul 17, 2006
  9. Rico movie

    Sean O'Hara Guest

    In the Year of the Dog, the Great and Powerful jayembee declared:
    Well remember there are three versions of TMP.

    1) The theatrical release, which was basically a rough cut that they
    had to send to theaters because they ran over schedule. When Wise
    and his team were editing the film, they made it 130 minutes long
    and inserted all the expensive FX shots while leaving out
    character-oriented scenes. They planned to go back and cut back on
    the FX while replacing them with the character stuff, but never got
    the chance.

    2) The VHS release, which inserted all the character-oriented scenes
    but didn't remove any of the FX. While it's superior in terms of
    character development, the pacing issues are exasperated.

    3) The director's cut DVD, where Wise finally got the chance to go
    back on fix things. All the FX remain (except a few that have been
    updated with CGI), but each shot has been trimmed by a few seconds
    to liven up the pace. Most of the character stuff has been put in,
    but Wise left a few scenes out. This is the best version (though
    it's still not very good), but it's not really extended -- it's
    about the same length as (1) and shorter than (2).

    Sean O'Hara, Jul 19, 2006
  10. Rico movie

    AZ Nomad Guest

    If it's longer than 40 minutes then they didn't go far enough.

    AZ Nomad, Jul 19, 2006
  11. Rico movie

    alcarm1964 Guest

    Don't know if this counts or not but I like the ending of Butterfly
    Effect DVD MUCH better than the theatrical one.

    alcarm1964, Jul 19, 2006
  12. "
    When they put back the scenes in ST:TMP they didn't even finish putting in
    the special effects. They left out the matte shot of the Enterprise when the
    crew exits the ship to head to Vyger. You see in the shot the wooden
    scaffolding around what looks like a ships door.

    Ron

    ronald felder, Jul 24, 2006
  13. Rico movie

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Are you talking about the recent "Director's Edition" DVD or the older
    extended version that used to air on TV? They're not the same thing.

    Joshua Zyber, Jul 25, 2006
  14. Rico movie

    Aphelion Guest

    When they put back the scenes in ST:TMP they didn't even finish putting in
    They apparently opted to delete the shot altogether rather than bothering to
    fix it. Tragic, because I remember when the DVD was announced, that's the
    shot I was most excited to see completed.

    Aphelion

    Aphelion, Jul 27, 2006
  15. Rico movie

    epokopac Guest

    I agree 100% with Steve. It's criminal what the studio did to Fincher's
    "vision".

    epokopac, Jul 27, 2006
  16. Rico movie

    dgates Guest

    I'm not sure that the extra scenes help Aliens that much. Maybe the
    auto-machine gun scenes, but I could have done without the pre-trauma
    Newt and the model trucks driving around the planet.

    dgates, Jul 27, 2006