    router by placing the motorola somewhere on the main floor. Way off base?
    Configuration nightmare?

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?UG9wcGEgRWFybA==?=, Jul 14, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UG9wcGEgRWFybA==?=

    Guest

    Depends on whether the routers have RJ45 CAT5 wired connection
    capability. Going through two wireless links might be a bit iffy.
    There could be a problem finding two non-interfering wireless
    channels, and ensuring you lock onto the preferred one, which
    is why, apart from any config issues (and this might depend on
    the specific routers) a wired link, making the second router an
    access point might be better.
    Netgear also do access points for this purpose, an early
    version was the ME102, but things have moved on, you
    might find something on eBay.
    USB wireless adapters, with or without aluminium kitchen
    foil reflectors, give some flexibility for finding the best
    signal. Card and built in antennas can be shielded by
    the case and are not necessarily located for the best signal
    pickup.

    , Jul 14, 2006

  3. Hi
    May be this can Help.
    Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging
    Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 16, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UG9wcGEgRWFybA==?=

    boscharun

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I don't think you can do it fully wireless. You need something called a repeater for that. But if you can pull an ethernet cable say to first floor, you can easily complement your existing router signal strength. You need to connect the LAN ports of both routers together with an ethernet cable and configure the second router so that the SSID, Wireless mode, channel, security mode and the password matches the first one.
    Once done, both routers will transmit the same signal and depending on how far you have kept the second router, you get that much more range. See this for details on router configuration - http://goo.gl/TpprN

    boscharun, Apr 18, 2012