    time-consuming way.

    Thanks!

    Martin

    Martin, Sep 10, 2006

  2. Martin

    Mike Easter Guest

    Excel can export as a comma delimited .csv file. OE can import that
    type as 'other address book - text file .csv'.
    Correct. They will import into the general .wab, you move them into the
    folder you like.
    Yes.

    Mike Easter, Sep 10, 2006

  3. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Thank you, Mike.

    Much appreciated!

    Regards,

    Martin

    Martin, Sep 10, 2006
  4. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello again Mike,

    What does one do to actually export from Excel?

    Do I highlight the column of cells containing e-mail addresses and, if so,
    what are the next steps?

    Thanks.

    Martin

    Martin, Sep 10, 2006
  5. Martin

    John Holmes Guest

    Martin "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    While in Excel, file>save as>.csv (scroll down)

    John Holmes, Sep 10, 2006
  6. Martin

    Mike Easter Guest

    I've never done it with Excel, I only read about it and I have examined
    the types of .csv files OE/addressbook can export. That is, I've
    exported .csv files from OE and examined them as text files and imported
    them into other addressbooks.

    When exporting files from OE [or rather the window's addressbook] as a
    ..csv file, you can choose one or many types of 'columns' of data, such
    as first, last, middle names vs name, nickname, email, and on and on for
    the data seen in the .wab for a total of about 25+ fields including home
    and/or business address elements.

    What I would do would be to experiment with your OE to see how things
    are laid out in its .csv file export.

    I would export your existing addressbook as a .csv and make a choice
    about how many fields you like that resemble your current Excel
    situation. If that is only Name and email address then do it that way.
    If you have a lot of data in the excel file that matches the format of
    the .csv that you would like to have in the addressbook, then do a lot
    of fields.

    The theoretical value of having more data in the addressbook is that you
    can use it to make little 'things' which might be useful to someone who
    doesn't use excel, such as exporting a vCard or business card for an
    individual addressbook listing.

    Most of my addressbook entries only populate first and last name which
    order is configured for the display section and the email address -- but
    some of the entries have a lot of fields populated. If your excel file
    has a lot and you want a lot then export it that way, but I would put it
    into the correct order to match the way OE exports it.

    Mike Easter, Sep 10, 2006
  7. Martin

    Martin Guest

    John and Mike,

    Thanks!

    Martin

    Martin, Sep 10, 2006
  8. Martin

    ProfGene Guest

    your address book as text you can see that correct form.

    ProfGene, Oct 18, 2006
  9. Martin

    Mike Easter Guest

    Yes all at the same time, yes from an excel spreadsheet, no into group
    contact, yes into OE's wab.
    Yes you can do that.
    Yes there is.

    It is best to understand the structure of the OE/wab comma delimited
    file. You can see that best by exporting a file from the wab. wab/
    File/ Export/ Other addressbook/ select Text file [comma separated
    values] then after you select a filename and path you are given a set of
    options about how many values you want each listing to contain.

    There are 29 different fields, which it is doubtful that you want all
    of, but the important thing is to know what they are and what order they
    are in and how many of them you want to excel export for wab text file
    import.

    Examine that text file with an editor to see what the OE/wab expects to
    import.

    So, you put your excel spreadsheet into the correct order with the
    values you want to export and import and get rid of anything in the
    excel that doesn't belong. Then you export the excel as a text file
    comma separated values .csv file.

    Then you use your wab to import the .csv file as wab/ File/ Import/
    Other addressbook/ select the text file comma separated values from the
    list of 7 different other wabs.

    It will not go into a specific group contact box, but into the 'general'
    wab. However, it is extremely easy to move anything in the general
    contacts into a specific folder by just grabbing the whole pile [shift
    select or control select] all at one time and moving them into where you
    want.

    Mike Easter, Oct 18, 2006