    To be fair, it's still in beta and hasn't been optimised yet, but it's
    still going to need more processing power than the Cray-1 for a basic
    install.

    Ponder, Jul 20, 2006

  2. Au79

    Whiskers Guest

    snip
    I use Opera rather than Konqueror, so I don't know if your problem with it
    is common or just something about your particular setup. However, I would
    comment that if users don't complain then the programmers won't think
    there's a problem worth looking into.

    Whiskers, Jul 20, 2006

  3. Au79

    Top Guest

    Why do you think I have a problem with something?

    Was this meant for me?

    Top, Jul 20, 2006
  4. Au79

    Top Guest

    Ponder pretended :
    True enough but I can't see that much triming. There are somethings
    that are yet to be added. Who knows, they not be added. I think the
    concern for the consumer is the machine needed to run Vista. One thing
    I do like that may help with that to a degree is the different packages
    of Vista, 5 packages vs the 2 of the orignal XP.

    Top, Jul 20, 2006
  5. Au79

    Whiskers Guest

    I was responding to both your comment about Firefox and the comment made
    by Paul regarding Konqueror. I apologise if my response was not as clear
    as I thought.

    Whiskers, Jul 20, 2006
  6. Au79

    Top Guest

    Whiskers submitted this idea :
    Cool. I spend a good bit of time in windows and am familar with FF and
    thunderbird. I looked briefly at Opera but haven't spent enough time
    with it to say anything good or bad about. I said what I did about FF
    under linux because I have used Konqueror enough to know I don't like
    it and the other poster seemed to infer that in linux you had to use
    Konqueror.

    Top

    Top, Jul 20, 2006
  7. Au79

    Paul Guest

    No doubt not as many as you would like, seeing as most never actually make
    the switch as when they try Linux they realise it dosen't fit their needs,
    and that's not exactly interesting copy for magazines and webpages to put on
    their headlines is it?

    But that said...here's a few examples...

    http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3704
    "Well, after months of fruitless endeavour, I've decided finally to turn my
    back on Linux. I like Linux, but it is just too much of a cobbled-together,
    ill thought out pain of an os to be practical. "

    http://forum.linspire.com/viewtopic.php?t=424219&sid=cb7aa8f9db6325a8cd0a906f16ec9638
    "i started thinking...all this trouble with various distros, yet...if i boot
    into windows xp, i have all my games sitting there screaming to be played.
    played with my zboard too. oh and the sound works perfectly...the graphic
    card works flawlessly, the mouse has no problems..."

    etc. etc.

    Paul, Jul 20, 2006
  8. Au79

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Top.

    The one thing that really pissed my off in the last review I read was how
    they've screwed up Media Centre. The biggest problem being that navigation
    is horizontal rather than the much more intuitive vertical. If it's relesed
    like that I most certainly won't 'entertain' it ;)

    Ponder, Jul 21, 2006
  9. Au79

    Top Guest

    Ponder has brought this to us :
    It takes a bit of getting used but most of it is still verticle. There
    is a horizontal element top it bu I use that for reference while I
    navigate verticle. I have a strange hardware arrangement and vista
    handles it well but I think XP would as well. For that matter I think
    linux would. Soon I'm going to try loading linux on a USB drive. Not
    sure it will work but a project none the less.

    Top, Jul 21, 2006
  10. Au79

    Top Guest

    Paul formulated on Thursday :
    Hahaha ... You are a real piece of work. You spend so much time tryong
    to prove something and never looking up to see what is in front of you.
    Do you read headers?

    Top, Jul 21, 2006
  11. Au79

    Gordon Guest

    USB Modem - obviously did NO research before installing.......

    Didn't like it because none of his WINDOWS GAMES would work!

    Are those two the best you could come up with? No research into hardware
    compatibility (and you have to do that with Windows as well) and couldn't
    get some inconsequential GAMES to work?

    Dear dear dear!

    Gordon, Jul 21, 2006
  12. It was on Friday 21 July 2006 5:47 am, that Top apparently said:
    Did he even read the replies to this, further down?
    Hardware problem, his USB *modem* FFS.

    Games, this guy wants to play *games*. ('bout time he grew up IMHO) That's all!
    He wasn't happy 'cos his windows games wouldn't work! Ahhh, poor thing.
    He just proved he's a bigger idiot than I first thought.

    William Poaster, Jul 21, 2006
  13. It was on Friday 21 July 2006 8:58 am, that Gordon apparently said:
    This is "Excuse #5" on the list.

    http://forum.linspire.com/viewtopic.php?t=424219&sid=cb7aa8f9db6325a8cd0a906f16ec9638
    This isn't actually on the list, but may come under "Excuse #1": Some will say
    this is because there aren't enough applications for Linux.
    Run of the mill stuff, no imagination, there are more excuses here:-
    http://www.certcities.com/editorial/columns/story.asp?EditorialsID=206
    Heh!

    William Poaster, Jul 21, 2006
  14. Au79

    Jimchip Guest

    Shhh,...(don't tell anybody, Poaster). This linux user uses Win(XP) to
    play Win computer games. It seems logical to use the OS the application
    was written for. (I just don't want others to know).

    Linux games are fun, too. :)

    Jimchip, Jul 21, 2006
  15. Au79

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Top.

    Good luck :)

    Ponder, Jul 21, 2006
  16. Au79

    Whiskers Guest

    I think Linux users have a greater choice of browsers than Windows users
    have; see <http://www.helgefjell.de/browser.php> :)) Most of the current
    'big' desktop distros seem to install with at least Konqueror or Epiphany,
    Firefox, and Lynx.

    Whiskers, Jul 21, 2006
  17. I see more native linux games are now being made by manufacturers who
    don't want to miss out on a growing market. Some windows games are being
    ported to linux too. :)

    William Poaster, Jul 21, 2006
  18. Here's one distro that fits on a USB drive:
    http://featherlinux.berlios.de/usb-instructions.htm

    You can also boot linux off a USB drive:
    http://www.simonf.com/usb/

    I've known about his one for a while. "Damn Small Linux" will embed in a
    256MB pen drive. http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/usb-qemu.html

    More info:
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1676&page=3

    William Poaster, Jul 21, 2006
  19. Au79

    Jimchip Guest

    The Quakes and the old Doom showed the potential. I remember playing
    _Star Trek_ on a text monitor. Multiuser, Warping in and out of each
    other's space, rotating and firing phasers or torpedos. What ever the
    PDP-10 OS was :)

    Jimchip, Jul 21, 2006
  20. Au79

    Paul Guest

    If you just want a linux for a mediacentre there's
    http://geexbox.org/en/index.html which runs fine from a USB drive if you
    have the ability to boot to USB.

    Paul, Jul 21, 2006