    It doesn't have the fonts specified so uses a "best alternative".

    See my reply to sittingduck about msttcorefonts.

    Here's a URL: http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/

    Ponder, Jul 19, 2006

  2. Paul wrote:

    Damn. Looks just like a windows gui hanging around missing redraws, when
    some totally unrelated network connection turns out to be a notwork.
    I have just a really outdated GF 2MX400 with 64M Ram, and can move around
    windows just fine, with kde3.x and xorg (6.x and 7). You must have
    something like glx missing in your xorg.conf.
    How many frames do you get with glxgears?
    With that same outdated graphics card, and a trusty old AMD2100XP I can
    watch fullscreen (1280x1024) dvd movies without any problems. Same thing
    with XP gives a jumpy mess on the screen.

    Walter Mautner, Jul 19, 2006

  3. Au79

    Paul Guest

    But it does, it has access to exactly the same fonts as Firefox, yet it
    either chooses completely the wrong font, or gets the size wrong, or gets
    the spacing between line wrong. Or maybe just 'different'.

    Here's an example - Konqueror at top left, firefox bottom right - Firefox
    get it ~99% as it looks in Windows using either IE or Firefox, Konqueror
    makes an arse out of it.

    http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l257/92982392382983/snapshot3.jpg

    Already installed.

    Paul, Jul 19, 2006
  4. It was on Wednesday 19 July 2006 11:05 pm, that Mara apparently said:
    I've used various linux distros for about 9 years with nVIDIA cards & never
    seen it.
    To paraphrase what someone said, he's probably dabbled for about 5 minutes &
    never bothered (or doesn't know how) to set it up properly. But because he's
    been told that, his reaction is the rebuff that wintroll's often use... it's
    not *his* fault, you're a linux zealot, it's the fault of the OS....etc, etc.

    Seen it a thousand times before. JHC.

    "Now there's a man with an open mind - you can feel the breeze from here!"
    -- Groucho Marx --

    William Poaster, Jul 19, 2006
  5. Au79

    Jimchip Guest

    I beieve I have mentioned my Celeron 500MHz, 512MB ram, i810 on-board
    video. I don't do 3D but I can watch a movie. My windows scroll just
    fine. SWS is A-OK :)

    Jimchip, Jul 19, 2006
  6. Au79

    Paul Guest

    That's about it - hanging around missing redraws.
    Average of about 1500 without composite, dropping to 400 with it. From what
    I can gather that's about average for my card. 3D performace is about as it
    should be, I tried the demo of Postal2 and they play about the same on
    Linux and Windows.

    Its just the desktop that's sooooooo crap.
    Well, playing dvd movies full screen on a graphic card that supports full
    screen hardware scaling and overlay isn't exactly taxing to a modern PC.
    Repainting window contents shouldn't be hard either; but Linux still hasn't
    managed to progress much beyond how it was 5 years ago.

    Paul, Jul 19, 2006
  7. Au79

    Paul Guest

    William Poaster wrote:

    Or perhaps I *do* know how to set it up, have set it up and I'm just being
    honest about the performace of Linux rather than being a linux zealot who
    simply toes the line along with all the others as they have been
    brainwashed into believing Linux is holier than thou and the sun shines out
    of its ass.

    I'll let others decide for themselves.

    Paul, Jul 19, 2006
  8. Au79

    Jimchip Guest

    Suse 7 might have been around the same time as Mandrake 7. I remember
    being really happy when MDK 8 came out. I wanted to use rpms but I
    didn't like Redhat. Until then, I'd been using Slackware, which is still
    fine but not my preference. I did read _The Linux Bible_ way back when
    the kernel was 0.9x but with man pages and, even then, the docs that
    came with the distro (how-tos), RTFM means "look it up when you decide
    to add that part".

    I tot I heard a giant whooshing sound...what was that?

    Jimchip, Jul 20, 2006
  9. What, you....RTFM? When you do, I'll be looking for flying penguins!
    Heh!

    William Poaster, Jul 20, 2006
  10. Au79

    Jimchip Guest

    Have you seen xpenguins?
    http://xpenguins.seul.org/
    maybe my tastes are too simple but I think it's really funny. They're
    not flying penguins but they parachute down and walk around on the
    toolbar... I do turn it off eventually but it always cracks me up.

    [snip]

    Jimchip, Jul 20, 2006
  11. Au79

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Dad had one with sheep that would fall out of the sky and land on windows
    and the taskbar then walk around butting heads or bouncing and jumping -
    cute <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jul 20, 2006
  12. Au79

    Jimchip Guest

    Dad must have been from Montana :)
    This Linux user would rather see the penguins but I understand
    differences in preferences.

    There's a Linux app called "cowsay". I'll see if there's a sheep addon.

    Jimchip, Jul 20, 2006
    Yes. LOL

    William Poaster, Jul 20, 2006
  14. Au79

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Paul.

    I see what you mean. I generally stick with Firefox anyway so don't
    notice.
    That I did notice from the screen dump :)

    Ponder, Jul 20, 2006
  15. I meant the windows OS, as that happens there often especially when let's
    say a explorer window is just waiting for refresh from a non-responding
    network drive, and refuses to redraw while moving around. Maybe the main
    problem is "desktop" also having a network link.
    With linux (I do work with it in a corp. network) and my setup it simply
    doesn't happen that way. A non-responding window will simply show empty
    when moving around (KDE) until it gets a refresh, but not leave frames all
    around the desktop.
    Looks fine, I got around 800fps without comp. on my old card with 6.9 and
    the nvidia prop. driver.
    Unfortunately glxgears disappeared with xorg7 here.
    There must be some other reason maybe like a desktop system folder on a slow
    responding network drive or whatever.
    Except when in windows XP here. Most of the times when I kill all the nasty
    background tasks (no spyware) it does not show jumpy, but quality
    (sharpness and contrast) is much better in linux.
    Even 5 years ago it could, it must be some issue with your or your friends
    desktop setup.

    Walter Mautner, Jul 20, 2006
  16. Au79

    Top Guest

    Thanks for being so narrow minded.

    Top

    Top, Jul 20, 2006

    If that's all the troll had, he's not worth bothering with.

    William Poaster, Jul 20, 2006
  18. Au79

    Top Guest

    Ponder formulated on Wednesday :
    People have always comlpained that Windows and associated apps are
    resource hogs. I can't wait to hear what they have to say about Vista.
    I'm running Vista beta and Office 2007 beta on a P4 3.0 ghz, 250 gb
    machine and it's not far being being resource strained. I've read the
    vista ngs and there are a lot of people that will have to buy new
    machines if they want to run Vista.

    Top

    Top, Jul 20, 2006
  19. Au79

    Top Guest

    It happens that Paul formulated :
    Simple enough to use Firefox w/linux. In fact I'd much rather.

    Top, Jul 20, 2006
  20. Au79

    Top Guest

    Paul formulated on Wednesday :

    BTW, How many people have you readd about that are switching from linux
    to windows?

    Top, Jul 20, 2006