Exploring Linux with Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Au79, Jul 18, 2006.

  1. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    Au79, Jul 18, 2006

  2. Au79

    Mike Easter Guest

    In the article at http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/basicubuntu.shtml In
    this introductory article, Dave Sullivan shares how easy it can be to
    install and use the latest Ubuntu, even for total newbies.

    ... he also points to EasyUbuntu
    http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/overview.html EasyUbuntu is an easy
    to use (duh!) script that gives the Ubuntu user the most commonly
    requested apps, codecs, and tweaks that are not found in the base
    distribution

    .... but not to Automatix
    http://www.getautomatix.com/wiki/index.php/Automatix_for_(X)Ubuntu

    The ubuntu forums have discussions about both in the 3rd party sections
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46 Sub-Forums : 3rd Party
    Ubuntu Projects

    "Dave Sullivan is a Linux enthusiast with substantive experience running
    Slackware and Ubuntu in both the home and classroom environment."
    [reallylinux.com]

    Mike Easter, Jul 18, 2006

  3. Au79

    sittingduck Guest

    Too bad linux sucks for a desktop OS. It is exceptionally easy to setup and
    use though.

    sittingduck, Jul 18, 2006
  4. Au79

    Mike Easter Guest

    sittingduck wrote:
    Should we all buy a new computer and get Vista or what? :-/ Maybe a
    Mac?

    BTW, Xnews will run under wine
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=65884 Xnews under wine

    Mike Easter, Jul 18, 2006
  5. Au79

    sittingduck Guest

    Screw that, XP runs perfectly on my computer.
    Why run linux and kludge 85% of my apps with wine? Windows runs them all, no
    problem.
    Unless you just like playing with your OS, and have very basic needs, Linux
    is nothing more than a toy for a desktop.

    sittingduck, Jul 18, 2006
  6. Au79

    Zitty Guest

    By 'run' you probably mean 'crawl' as scrolling is almost unusable under
    wine and if you happen to resize the main application window you'll have a
    few hours wait while it redraws, overshoots, shrinks back and forth before
    finally settling down to the correct size.

    - pretty much like all Windows apps run using wine in Linux really... in
    fact, pretty much like ALL Linux apps.

    Zitty, Jul 18, 2006
  7. Au79

    Jimchip Guest

    Another over-opinionated winboy...
    Whatever happened to people simply being able to choose what they like
    without some technoweenie religious fanatic putting down what they
    themselves don't prefer?

    Jimchip, Jul 18, 2006
  8. Au79

    Jimchip Guest

    You are so wrong, it is pathetic. What is this, a winboy trollfest?
    You obviously believe that ignorance is bliss. Please don't let more
    knowlegeable people disturb your wrongheaded and ignorant beliefs.

    Jimchip, Jul 18, 2006
  9. Au79

    Gordon Guest

    Uhhh no. I have apps that are LINUX apps that replicate almost EXACTLY the
    apps I use on windows.......Who needs wine? In fact I get MORE apps on Linux
    that I can shake a stick at, and they are all free, unlike most windows
    apps......

    Gordon, Jul 18, 2006
  10. Au79

    Zitty Guest

    Really? Perhaps you could inform the rest of the world how you have managed
    to make window resizes as smooth as Windows (or en anywhere near as smooth)
    as I'm sure the entire Linux community would love to know..

    Or maybe all the versions of Linux I've used over the last 5 years or more
    have been incorrectly configured? Or my current installs of both SLED10 Beta
    with Xgl and Kubuntu are somehow flawed??
    No, I believe what I see and use.

    Zitty, Jul 18, 2006
  11. It was on Tuesday 18 July 2006 10:51 pm, that Jimchip apparently said:
    Who obviously knows zip about linux. For an OS that runs 73.4% of the world's
    supercomputers, as opposed to 0.4% of supercomputers running windows, it's not
    bad for a "toy" OS! (In supercomputing circles, it's windows which is regarded
    as a joke.)
    http://www.top500.org/stats
    He's probably a troll.

    William Poaster, Jul 18, 2006
  12. Au79

    Jimchip Guest

    Smooth window resizes? That's your criterion? Pathetic still stands.
    Mine (Debian Gnome 2.1.4) work just fine, thank you for asking.
    It's probably Kubuntu...I have never liked KDE :)
    That's good. I believe I'm done with you.

    Jimchip, Jul 18, 2006
  13. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    After running Windows and Linux for years, my own assessment has
    consistently been that Windows is really inferior to Linux as a desktop OS.

    Consumers tied to Windows will always deal with viruses, spyware, worms, and
    trojans; and after 20 years Microsoft has failed to adequately secure this
    crappy environment, which of course has cost billions of dollars in
    downtime for home and business users (Vista isn't going to help).

    Also, Windows suffers from a notorious tendency of performance atrophy: With
    normal use apps slow down to a crawl, the system becomes unstable,
    inexplicable freezes and re-boots occur, etc. etc. In time Windows users
    usually end up reformatting their harddrives and re-installing the OS,
    which has become standard practice.

    As far as usability is concerned, I am using SuSE Linux quite happily: I can
    download pictures from my digital camera, edit and email them, browse the
    net, compose documents and spreadsheets, and so on and on. There's no
    Windows app that I'm missing, being totally free of MS.

    Au79, Jul 18, 2006
  14. It was on Tuesday 18 July 2006 11:01 pm, that Jimchip apparently said:
    So it seems.
    Amazing how these people spout about something they know nothing about.

    William Poaster, Jul 18, 2006
  15. Au79

    Jimchip Guest

    Oh, he's an expert on all operating systems. He's got them all running
    on his computer and he is intimately familiar with them all because he
    is a genius and we are mere ants who do not understand importance of
    smooth window scrolling. If we, or the rest of the "linux community",
    only understood how important smooth window scrolling was then we would
    leave our free OS and willingly pay MS $1000 so that we could have
    smooth window scrolling. Smooth window scrolling, henceforth known as
    SWS, is the criterion that should decide for everyone what OS they
    should prefer.

    Or, he's probably a troll.

    Jimchip, Jul 19, 2006
  16. Au79

    Jimchip Guest

    Well, it's Tuesday where I am. Summer school for the idiots who flunked
    regular school has let out, they've proven to mom that they did their
    homework (by showing last week's) and their reward is to play on the
    Internet for a few hours before bedtime. Typical.

    Jimchip, Jul 19, 2006
  17. It was on Tuesday 18 July 2006 11:54 pm, that Jimchip apparently said:
    I've run Kubuntu 6.06 LTS (Dapper) on another machine, didn't have any problems
    with it. :)
    He's said he's got a current SLED10 Beta installation, note it's *Beta*!

    William Poaster, Jul 19, 2006
  18. Au79

    Zitty Guest

    What a fantastic argument. Somebody dares to criticize an aspect of Linux
    and you resort to name calling. Quite typical of the Linux community - they
    can't construct a valid argument or accept their beloved OS *may* actually
    have flaws that annoy users so they resort to verbal abuse.

    Ever wondered if the way you 'advertise' Linux and its users in this way is
    having an adverse effect on potential users?

    But, I'm wasting my breath as you'll just call me a troll anyway.

    Ho hum..

    Zitty, Jul 19, 2006
    Uh, oh. I suppose we'll get a few "get-rich-quick" posts too.

    William Poaster, Jul 19, 2006
  20. Au79

    Jimchip Guest

    Beta means "cutting edge", "in the know" "the latest" "hot off the
    presses".

    What it really means is buggy but that's a minor point if SWS is the
    gold standard :)

    Jimchip, Jul 19, 2006