'Explore' Doesn't read a Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bud, May 16, 2005.

  1. Bud

    Bud Guest

    I have a Maxtor 40 Gig HD that my system won't read. It was, for a
    time, the only HD this system had. I have installed it as a slave to
    recover files from it but 'Windows Explore' won't read it. When I
    installed it as a second Drive, the BIOS recognized the presence of the
    drive. I told it to accept the change and it booted. When I try to
    look at the files on the drive, I never get anything more than

    "The Volume is not Formatted. Format? _Yes/_No".

    Of course I click No as I don't want to lose the information on the HD.

    Once I did see the files but it must have been a fluke because they
    disappeared before I got to the files I was wishing to recover. The
    disk is formatted in NTSF. My system is a Compaq Presario 8000 with an
    AMD Athlon 2000+ processor using a 1.6 GHz clock. It has 1024 Megs of
    RAM. My OS is Windows XP Home Edition. (I also have a Disk with Win XP
    Pro on it which I can use but it won't read this particular Hard Drive
    either.)All of my drives are Maxtor. The original HD that came with the
    system was a Seagate but it crapped out after a year. I have Maxtor
    Drives that are ten years old that are still good (except, possibly,
    this one I can't seem to read. It is only about three years old.)

    I have another HD I use as a second drive (it is only a litttle over a
    year old) and the system reads it just fine. What can be the problem.
    Can anyone suggest something I can do to get the 'Explore' function to
    read this drive? I have added an externl HD which I now use for BackUps.

    TIA

    Bud

    Bud, May 16, 2005

  2. Bud

    Sunny Guest

    Sunny, May 16, 2005

  3. Bud

    old jon Guest

    Hi Bud. Ensure that the drive is set to Slave, using the label on top.
    Recheck that the cables are connected Correctly (Striped wire next to power
    plug. Restart computer, dabbing Delete to go into Bios, to make sure the
    drive can be seen there. (Auto is good). If you still have problems, it must
    be Fat>NTFS. best wishes..J

    old jon, May 16, 2005