    That's your problem. Either build a dedicated machine to run Linux or
    use something like VMWare to to allow you to run it all the time. I
    think you'll find that you'll spend a lot more time with it then.

    Jeff Rife, Apr 28, 2006

  2. No, it's not my problem, it's my choice.

    Gino

    Gene E. Bloch, Apr 28, 2006

  3. asj

    L Leed Guest

    Actually, Mac users, by GOING against the grain, don't follow blindly.
    I think you're pretty much the only one here who doesn't seem to get
    it. Since Windows is almost a default choice, the term might be better
    used to denote some Windows users, who BLINDLY take the only route they
    see.

    I've met several Mac users and some Windows users who DECIDED to go to
    Mac after carefully considering their options. Because they are going
    against the grain and thus need to consider their options carefully,
    they are certainly not "blind sheep".

    You want me to draw you a graph, oh slow-witted one?

    Actually, you're the one grasping at straws. Desktop computers aren't
    water - to even compare the two is ludicrous. You need contact lens
    with that graph?

    L Leed, Apr 28, 2006
  4. asj

    asj Guest

    Some tough talk from Panasonic. I think Toshiba is done for.

    http://news.digitaltrends.com/article10170.html

    In comments to Reuters, Kazuhiro Tsuga, an executive at Japan's
    Matsushita, has stated next-generation Blu-ray and HD DVD formats will
    never merge. "We are not talking and will not talk," he said. "The
    market will decide the winner."

    Matsushita is the world's largest consumer electronics manufacturer and
    is a strong supporter of Sony's Blu-ray next-generation DVD technology.

    Tsuga speculated that, while Toshiba is the first to market with HD DVD
    systems, the company would not be able to sustain selling HD DVD
    players at prices as low as $499. He estimated Toshiba is taking a loss
    on each unit sold. Matsushita's Panasonic-branded Blu-ray DVD players
    are likely to hit the U.S. market mid-year at prices in excess of
    $1,000. "It's now a test of physical strength," he said, indicating
    Matsushita was working hard to lower production costs and see a
    per-unit profit on Blu-ray player sales from the start.

    asj, Apr 30, 2006
  5. asj

    Chuck Olson Guest

    I think the winner will depend not on the player but on which format has the
    most top-notch movies available. Having a low player price is certainly an
    advantage, but without the movies, the player is useless. If having a head
    start means more movies will be on the HD-DVD format, it might well be the
    winner, but eventually the guy that puts the most bucks in the right hands
    will come out on top.

    Chuck

    Chuck Olson, May 1, 2006
  6. asj

    poldy Guest

    Well Apple has no leverage or else there would already be movies on
    iTunes.

    Of course, there are millions of iPod videos out there capable of
    storing movie files hundreds or even a couple of gigs in file size. So
    it could make those Blu-Ray movie discs more marketable.

    If iPods continue to sell in big numbers, there would be a bigger market
    for iPod-optimized movies than Blu-Ray 1080p movies, at least for a
    couple of years.

    PS3 is expected to be the biggest-selling HDTV movie player. Sony
    expects to sell 6 million PS3s by the end of March 2007. There's a good
    chance Apple has sold that many video iPods already.

    poldy, May 1, 2006
  7. asj

    asj Guest

    Considering that Sony, Disney, Lionsgate, and 20th Century Fox all will
    NOT have any Toshiba HD-DVD titles, while only Universal will not have
    Blu-ray, then it's obvious which format will have the most titles.

    asj, May 1, 2006
  8. True the same thing happened with the Beta verses VHS and Windows verses
    Linux or OS2 etc... big bucks and propaganda win all the time!!!!

    http://members.dodo.com.au/niloch1/, May 1, 2006
  9. asj

    asj Guest

    The leverage is because Steve Jobs owns a big chunk of Disney.

    asj, May 1, 2006
  10. asj

    L Leed Guest

    http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13360

    At present, both 25GB single layer and 50GB dual layer Blu-ray discs
    are be compatible with the Blu-ray drives getting ready to launch. Not
    that long ago, TDK worked on a 100GB quad layer Blu-ray disc and more
    recently has been working on a 200GB prototype.

    Well, apparently they have produced a Blu-ray disc 200GB using just
    only six layers, instead of eight as previously predicted.

    L Leed, May 1, 2006
  11. asj

    Fred Liken Guest

    Um, those that drank the koolaid went against the grain, but were certainly
    following like sheep. Charles Manson led a small group of people going
    against the grain like sheep.

    Why is it you can't understand simple things like that? It doesn't matter
    if you're in the majority or not, to be led like a sheep, my friend.
    Actually, your inability to comprehend that simple fact is making me think
    you aren't even capable of making the argument you're trying. Perhaps you
    should go ask your shepperd to help you out, my friend?
    So? I can pick and choose small subsets of people from groups to make any
    point, yet it'd be just as invalid.
    You're being miopic. The majority of Mac users have done no such thing.
    They've been led to the Mac by some other ignorant zealot.
    Sure, if you think you need to do so to make your point.
    Says you, but the fool is always going to think the truth is ludicrous.
    Just produce this graph that makes your point, my friend. Until then, we
    can just assume you're bravado is just that.

    Fred Liken, May 1, 2006
  12. asj

    Tim V. Guest

    Exactly!! I wonder if buying up lots of studio rights is a partial
    outcome of losing on Betamax. If you own the movies, you can control what
    media they come out on.

    You basically guarantee there will be product in the format that you
    invent. The question is: do you own enough of the market share to
    ensure your format will become dominant?

    --
    Tim.

    "Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither
    liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

    "Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own
    reputation. It is better to be alone than in bad company" - George
    Washington

    Tim V., May 1, 2006
  13. asj

    R Sweeney Guest

    I can see it now... New from Paramount! Get all of Star Trek... every show
    of every series on one BRD for the low low price of $5999.99

    get in line today!

    Naturally, if the single disk gets damaged, Paramount will sell you a new
    one at full price.

    R Sweeney, May 1, 2006
  14. asj

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Owning Sony BMG Music Entertainment didn't help them get SACD into very
    many homes.

    Joshua Zyber, May 2, 2006
  15. asj

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    If the dual-layer discs have a 75% defect rate, what's the percentage on
    this one? 99.99999999999999999999999% defective?

    Joshua Zyber, May 2, 2006
  16. Yet another real world experience that many choose to ignore.

    Thanks for mentioning it before I did.

    Matthew

    Matthew L. Martin, May 2, 2006
  17. asj

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    Hahahah... where did you ever get the idea that MPEG 4 was
    superior?

    The correct schema for them to use would be the same schema used by
    the television industry to handle HDTV signals for transmission ala
    General Instrument and the HDTV consortium. Anything else is simply
    thumb to the nose blatant stupidity against already established
    conventions which are already at the resolution, quality, and display
    rates concerned.

    That way, and HD DVD (of whatever form factor or recording method)
    could easily be broadcast in native form by a licensed television
    studio or even a movie theater without any post processing requisites.

    Roy L. Fuchs, May 3, 2006
  18. asj

    Guest Guest

    It is set for the future my man. HD-DVD is the here and now, but not future
    proof. I guess I will wait on the machine that will play both formats...

    Guest, May 7, 2006
  19. asj

    asj Guest

    Hehehe...scared, aren't we? As time passes, obviously the kinks in
    manufacturing will be worked out and you've now got Blu-ray discs with
    200 GB storage capacities. Awesome!

    asj, May 10, 2006
  20. You do realize that IBM manufactured 10 layer DVDs, don't you? They
    could do it in one of their labs. They never managed to make a product
    out of them.

    Matthew

    Matthew L. Martin, May 11, 2006